Author Topic: Labor Day Devastation  (Read 2709 times)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Labor Day Devastation
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
Went out on Saturday evening to watch the UFC fights with my auntie and uncle b4 they go to Reno this week. Brought the rods along ;) since we'd be waiting for my auntie at the dock to get the last fisherman off the lake for the night. caught a few dozen in the last 2hrs of her shift between beers and smoke breaks anyway ;)

Action shot my uncle took

No big fish jus a buncha 2-3# clones fun stuff none the less.

Fast forward to labor day, get to the dock round 330 and have some bbq with my auntie and uncle while they have some drinks and chit chat with Tinkerbell and their other guests. I devour my tacos and get to work. Stick a good 3#r right away and proceed to put on a clinic on the flylined Senko! Nearly every cast or pitch would get slammed within 30-40 secs of free fall. If that didnt get hit a few cranks on the reel or twitches of the rod would almost certainly provoke a strike. After a dozen and a half fish on the Senko I grabbed a smoke and a smoke colored phat Ika and made a long cast towards some bait that popped up lil ways from the dock. As my bait hit the water a few bass boiled half way between the dock and my cast, so I cranked the Ika in at a fast crank and let it fall a few feet passed the boils. As it sank I suddenly feel it stop and my line jumps, I wait a second to make sure it got it and as my line tightens up I swing for the fences! Instant drag rippin as my rod is bent in half! I can feel some good head shake as more 20# braid zings off the reel almost at will. Good one babe? I hear Tinkerbell walking towards my finger on the dock. I jump into a boat for a lil better grabbin position as the fish starts to rise up the water column. As soon as she came up near the surface 20ft away from the boat I can see a nice sized goldish green flash in the murky agua b4 she went almost completely airborne. Oh sh!t! Biggin babe! Good good one! She bulldogs me under the boat then around the side and under the dock lookin for a cable or wire to wrap me up in. Get her back out from under everything and she goes aerial again trying to throw the hook. After a couple more half jump head shakes my thumb met her lip and she was getting photographed ;)

Beautiful Dark Green Phatty

Thick Shouldered Beast

Took a lil break and went up to my aunties house for more sculpins and tacos. Couple hrs later while the ladies ate some cheese cake and had some mixed drinks, my uncle his buddy Jim and I snuck down to the dock with some sculpins and I showed em how to catch em in the darkness B)

Couldn't think of a better way to spend a holiday weekend good company, good food, good beer, oh yeah and the fishin wasn't bad either B)

Rastafar-gone B)<==*~~

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Labor Day Devastation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:22:47 PM »
Sounds like a great way to spend the day.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
Thanks squatch, had a blast, whole lake basically to myself, besides the mermaids splashing around scaring all the fish to the other side of the dock. Caught the biggin on their side second cast after they vacated the area for more shade and drinks B)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »
Nice catching in the Big Puddle!  Hopefully some of those mountain rains make an impact... at least a little bit.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
Maybe negate the daily evaporated  ::) but the real impact won't be til this el nino actually starts rain wise, but the traces of rain seem to be more in alpine and pine valley... morena hasnt even been getying much and they need it BAD! I jus hope there's not too many mud slides when the sky starts falling this fall/winter... the lil B is at 2.7% as of last gauge check last Thursday :(