Author Topic: ?'s on Targeting Hammerheads  (Read 14884 times)

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
?'s on Targeting Hammerheads
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:17:04 PM »
I guess this year it is possible to get a hammer from shore so i will be targeting them soon. I have a few questions for you guys that would help me maximize my chances.

1) How necessary is it to kayak baits out?
2) if it is the best bet, is it possible to paddle baits out in the rough San Diego surf?
3) Is mackerel still the ticket? Or would a bigger fish such as croaker or a small ray be the better bet?
4) Can a standard soupfin/sevengill setup pull in a hammerhead?

Just some questions to spark some convo about landing an exotic shark which would be awesome to see regardless of who catches one. Thanks.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: ?'s on Targeting Hammerheads
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:40:26 AM »
1) Got a kayak and gear with enough line capacity? Couldn't hurt.
2) Totally possible at the right beaches under the right conditions.
3) No idea. Mackerel is easily available but not the only possibility. Best bait? Don't know.
4) How big is the hammerhead?

Personally I'm hoping for a 5-6 footer. I feel like I can land that.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:18:55 AM »
They are in the surfline which I suspect that just a cast out bait would work just fine, but it couldn't hurt to kayak one out with a bigger set up. 
As for bait, I think any fresh chunk of oily bait will work.  They are keying into the dines and mackerel bait and also gobbling up the yellowfin, so a bonito part seems to be a logical choice.  The hardest part will just to be fishing for a long time and having your baits make a small slick over the long haul or just being in the right place at the right time.  I was in the vicinity when they closed the beaches down on Saturday, but I got no Hammerhead love.

Someone has to get one this year!  It won't be easy, but it will be quite the achievement!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:22:33 AM »
On shark shows they mention the hammerhead uses its wide head to scan the bottom for stingrays.

When I get out there I have a small rod out hoping to land a small ray and it will become bait.

From Wiki....

"Hammerhead sharks are known to eat a large range of prey including fish, squid, octopus, crustaceans, and other sharks. Stingrays are a particular favorite. These sharks are often found swimming along the bottom of the ocean, stalking their prey. Their unique head is used as a weapon when hunting down prey. The hammerhead shark uses its head to pin down stingrays and eats the ray when the ray is weak and in shock

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »
I think any hammer smaller than 6' could be landed on the standard shark gear most of us use. I would and will start bringing heavier duty rigs in the event I hook one or something else (I find it hard to not believe bulls, tigers, and lemons is possible too) and my standard rig isn't up to snuff.

Have a tail rope at the ready, different shark different temperament.

Fish a little bigger bait. I saved some YFT bellies just in case and have plenty of nice sized bonies from my bait making trips. I also threw some guts, rib meat, and blood in some baggies to chum it up a little. Not a lot, a little.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
Thanks guys these replies have been helpful. This weekend or next I'll be hunting hammerheads kayaking bigger baits out. I'll be sure to post a report.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »
Thanks guys these replies have been helpful. This weekend or next I'll be hunting hammerheads kayaking bigger baits out. I'll be sure to post a report.

Awesome!!! Good luck!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:53:53 PM »
I'm sure that they would be an opportunistic feeder, but based on all the reports, the oily fish idea could be the best bet. They seem to have tuna on the brain. Getting the bait out there could be the biggest challenge. Being in the right place at the right time will also play a big part.

I would love the chance at a southern California shore caught Hammerhead, but it would take multiple acts of God to get to a position to get a shot.

One of you guys will get one.