Author Topic: San Diego Surf 8/11  (Read 6629 times)

Bob Benner

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
San Diego Surf 8/11
« on: August 12, 2014, 04:33:39 AM »
Headed up to North county yesterday to try and find some salad free water which I did, but the surf was BIG. Headed back to my usual stomping grounds to smaller surf but tons of nasty salad and a strong northernly pull. It's 7:55am, the tide is rolling in. Second cast gets me a 16 inch butt, this would be one of only about 4 casts that came back salad free. Cast....eel gras, cast....chopped up kelp and so on and so on. About an hour later threw a cast to some calm water and instantly hooked up. Could tell right away what it was due it's surface thrashing and short quick runs. Right around 25-26 inches of beautiful silver!! Shortfin Corvina.

These are my favorite bay species to target since they consistently hit top water plugs. This is the time of year when it seems the bite starts to slow down on them in the bay which is why this is the time of the year I target Halibut in the surf. Always a nice bonus to get one of these in the surf. Of course the fish was released as all Corvina should be. Thanks for reading!!

Limulus

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Surf 8/11
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
Damn nice fish on a plug!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10:24 PM »
That's a solid corvina!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:24:02 AM »
Damn Bob... You've caught more surf vina than pretty much anyone that I know.  That's a beauty!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
yes sir.. I can hear it croaking now.
 8)
GET OUT AND GET BIT..