Author Topic: 6/13/15 Tuna crab forecast - Batting Practice  (Read 3046 times)

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
6/13/15 Tuna crab forecast - Batting Practice
« on: June 14, 2015, 12:18:24 AM »
Anyone see the news regarding tuna crabs? Apparently they are marching north from Mission Beach leaving their minions to control our beaches...

Friday at San Elijo

Embedded spy in Carlsbad Saturday morning...

Met Robert (Shoresurfer) at 5:00am at the local spot to get in some big fish action... rising tide and small surf. Joel (HalibutJoel) was gonna meet up with us at 600. Me and Robert are soaking mac parts on the edge of a rip that's helping pull the scent to the outside.On the second or third piece I've farmed out (mushmac) I pin a head and heave the old hoe on a high arc that leaves Robert saying "why do you always get bit first, I can cast that far too". His last post had him on 3 before I hooked one so casting distance hasn't been a factor at the spot. Reeled in the slack and left it sitting.Sure enough reel starts its little song we all love to hear...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
It pulled a lot harder making me think it was a larger model, taped out 47"

Joel shows up with his trout buddy John, just after we drag it back into the drink. They started throwing everything hes got after what hes nicknamed for... up and down and along the side of us. I'm not there everyday but I think Spearos have taken everything out of there (3 were there later on). The bite slows and Robert and I make a move south down the beach...tide's at full pool and grass is starting come in. I move back, cast a fresh oozing bait that I know is gonna git bit and set it in the spike, jog back to get my gear...Yep you know its coming...less than 30 seconds after it hitting the water its in a big bats mouth and Joel sees it stripping off line...He picks up the rod and hes on...He buttons down the drag and starts yanking but the handles on the wrong side for him (I am left hand dominant/ reel with my right hand) hes giving it everything hes got and making progress despite the handicap...He gets the fish in fast, putting the 40# to the test, but the fish is still hot in the skinny steep beach and breaks off in the surf just as I'm about to grab it...AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!!! We stay a little longer until the grass was too much leaving us wanting more....until next time.

Tight lines everyone...

Jerry

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: 6/13/15 Tuna crab forecast - Batting Practice
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 04:58:09 AM »
Sure enough reel starts its little song we all love to hear...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz    Jerry

Aww, the sweet sound of the clicker............. 8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:15:01 AM »
 I feel your pain Joel. I switch my handle to reel with the right hand. When I pick up someone else's reel with the handle on the "wrong" side, it is very confusing.

Nice fish guys.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
Well hot damn!  You are fire with the rays, boss!  You are way due for a legitimate grinner now!

Bravo on another great catch!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

shoresurfer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
Joel a as having a hell of a time with the lefty.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:36:32 PM by shoresurfer »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
I love those pics!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
Those are great shots. Looks like Joel might blow a gasket.

shoresurfer

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 06:04:18 PM »
Got to give him credit Steve, he did manage to get the Ray to the edge of the water. If he just had a little more patience he would have had it on the beach. Tried to tell him to take his time but he was caught up in the moment.
These are a lot different then Halibut,a stronger fight and a hell of a lot more weight to them. Can't just drag these up on the beach. I think he realizes that now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:22:16 PM by shoresurfer »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 10:39:42 PM »
Lots of learning to do when you try something new. He will listen better next time.