Author Topic: The Double Move and Double Slam (6/9)  (Read 4515 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Double Move and Double Slam (6/9)
« on: June 10, 2015, 06:32:11 AM »
Wow, what a session.  Steve and I saw the surf was up at a barely fishable size, so we opted for the calmness of the bay.  We were deciding where to go when I mention a spot in the bay that I used to fish all the time when I lived 2 houses from the bay in the 90's.  I thought about the possible mess of traffic and people and decided that may be a bad idea.  Steve said, "No, let's go fish there.  We can always move if need be.".

Traffic wasn't so bad, but parking sucked.  We had a little walk, but the beach was empty for at least 30 minutes... and that's all I would need.

I saw a bump in my line that I was soaking mack when I grabbed my rod and it bumped a few more times before slowly loading up.  I set the hook and thought, what the hell is this?  I felt head shakes and tail slaps and immediately yelled out halibut!  I was pretty positive it was a big halibut in the 20-30 pound range and almost got confirmation when Steve yelled "Hali" back to me.  I just about got it to shore when Steve yelled "Nope, Black!".

I never for the world of me ever expected to catch a black here especially in such a crowded little section of water! 

The money shots!

The fugger was hard to get a hold of and had some weight to that frame of his.  We took a super quick picture and sent him back on his way (CPR).  He was a crazy healthy bay bass for sure!

We had high hopes to maybe find a wolf pack of Black Sea Bass there and cast out some fresh baits.  Something was destined to stomp on the good vibes as a few adults and 15 pasty white kids came down and literally started playing in the water in front of us.  It was useless to get them to move and the pasty Nanucks of the North watching them had no cares either.  Then the sail boats rolled through and we had it.  We packed up and moved for the other option in the bay.

I get bit by something on the spinner with a little heart and it felt like the right kind.  It wound up being a 3 foot sh!t shark.

30-40 minutes later my spinner goes off again and I get this bat to give me a decent little fight.

Well, it was fairly slow after that with a lot of bait stealers, so I put on a huge chunk of bonito. I went to check my bait when the second I grabbed it out of the holder, the line starts peeling off my reel!  Definitely Leopard Shark!  It wound up being a nice 51" female.

Immediately I pinned on another huge chunk of bonito and cast out in the same spot.  It wasn't 5 minutes later and I caught the boy about the same size!  No doubt this guy was chasing the girl I caught just prior to him.  His swollen claspers were ready for lovin until I came around and messed up their plans.  lol

Ray shows up just when Steve and I were winding down.  Steve had a late night and was toast, but happened to get on the board just before he left.  A guitar saved him from the skunk.

I get picked up again to find a scrappy bass at the end of the line.

I hung out with Ray for a little while longer and needed to get home as I lost track of time.  So much to do, so little time and a half broken body doesn't make things any easier, but that BSB sure did help out a little!

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:15:47 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: The Double Move and Double Slam (6/9)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 06:50:13 AM »
That's what's up boss! Str8 killed it! MB BSB?!?! That's pretty epic and a cartilagous slam! Looks like your pretty much back ;) Nice work guys!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 06:51:43 AM »
You are off the injured list 8) 8) 8)

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
Awesome sesh you had man, sucks I barely missed seeing the bsb, I'm sure there will be more 8). Really nice fishing with you guys and shooting the sh!t again.
what really sucked...was wearing the stripes yesterday, haven't gotten the old skunk in awhile. ..gonna have to redeem myself in a big way soon...

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
BSB. In the bay. What the hell. It was definitely your night.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
Awesome catch Tom, much congrats.... V
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
Nice variety!
That BSB is gorgeous!

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »
cheeoooww nice sesh. 8)
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

SurffishingSean

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »
Wow! that is an awesome report! guess i gotta try fishing the bay sometime. MDR is the only bay like area near me. Black sea bass out of the bay! 8) :o :o ;)

B_Litz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:55:24 PM »
What an awesome session! You guys always kill it in either the bay or the surf. That's a sick BSB

lamnidae

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 02:06:54 PM »
That BSB is awesome. I've heard of them down in the big bay but the little bay, not so much. Nice double on the Leopards. That is our next quarry. It sounds like your recovery is going well.

Castmaster

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 05:00:34 PM »
Wow!  BSB from the shore, amazing session!  Nice leos!  Still haven't caught a male leo yet.

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
Epic fish, Tom! Nice move not going to the ocean and dealing with big waves, that was a great choice you made.  Nice sharks too.

Nice skunk buster Steve.

Still saying to myself, a BSB in the Bay? You just never know! Congrats again!

Sharkinthedark II

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »
Purple prince of MB...Nice one!  8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 12:56:54 PM »
You're the fishiest guy I know!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)