Author Topic: MB Shore fishing 6/7  (Read 3090 times)

Pagzzz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
MB Shore fishing 6/7
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »
Spent yesterday morning doing a little fishing while the kids played on the beach in front of the Bahia, and the wife went to outrigger practice.

Used squid strips for bait and wait fishing since I was playing with the kids and knew I would be stationary and distracted.

Set up one rod with a carolina rig, which got no love, and the other testing out a three-way swivel setup and a few oz of lead. Also a good chance to practice casting on an old Penn 155 I got from my dad and spiffed up with new parts. Got the hang if it after the 3rd cast or so. That set up (penn and 3-way) ended up catching three nice sized spotties in the 12-14" range and I was able to have my kids reel in the fish.

Overall, a good morning.

(PS - was noticing a good amount of those tuna crab washing in with the incoming tide, mostly dead)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: MB Shore fishing 6/7
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 10:54:37 AM »
(PS - was noticing a good amount of those tuna crab washing in with the incoming tide, mostly dead)

We saw a bunch of live tuna crab coming in the inlet as we were heading out on Friday.  I was wondering if they were going to wash up in the bay.  The fish in the bay might be stuffed with them also!  lol

Very cool to have them fight the fish in there.  The Bahia is very hit and miss.  Mostly miss, but when it is on, it is ON!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SurffishingSean

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »
cool! spotted bay bass 8) 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 12:23:34 PM »
Bahia is definitely a feast or famine spot. Cool that the kids got on some fish!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
Awesome learning experience with the fam man 8)

Jaws

• Mud Marlin
  • Bitten by the shark bug!
    • View Profile
    • Sharkbite Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 05:56:42 PM »

We saw a bunch of live tuna crab coming in the inlet as we were heading out on Friday.  I was wondering if they were going to wash up in the bay.  The fish in the bay might be stuffed with them also!  lol

Very cool to have them fight the fish in there.  The Bahia is very hit and miss.  Mostly miss, but when it is on, it is ON!

Amen to the hit or miss!

best time for that spot was late winter.....then ghost town!
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner

HalibutJoel99

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »
Never heard of a Tuna Crab. Can you eat them?  hmmmmm....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »

The first time I ever seen them was in Cabo.  Boats were netting them and I asked the captain, what are they catching them for? His response was soup and crab tails.  I neglected to ask if they were any good, but it bet it is something like a langostino lobster.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »

The first time I ever seen them was in Cabo.  Boats were netting them and I asked the captain, what are they catching them for? His response was soup and crab tails.  I neglected to ask if they were any good, but it bet it is something like a langostino lobster.

That's what they are, lasgostino. Remember when Rubios was getting sued for their "lasgostino" lobster tacos, that they claimed were actual lobster, but were in fact tuna crabs.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »

That's what they are, lasgostino. Remember when Rubios was getting sued for their "lasgostino" lobster tacos, that they claimed were actual lobster, but were in fact tuna crabs.

Good to know.  I figured it was something common if Red Lobster was selling it!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 03:54:18 PM »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4728361

Good to know.  I figured it was something common if Red Lobster was selling it!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)