Author Topic: Lake Poway 7/3 PM and night fishing  (Read 16711 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Lake Poway 7/3 PM and night fishing
« on: July 04, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
Hit up Lake Poway at the crack of 1pm for some pre-Independance day catfishing. Quick stop at the consessions for permits, boat rental, and snacks then down to the dock we went.

Upon arrival to the dock we were met with this.

Ranger says after last week's stock they stuck around the area to chow on all the sunken bird feed. Bird feed is a buck and change. I burned that much in gas just getting to the freeway to catch macks earlier in the week.  :o

Fishing wise it started off sloooow. Only saw one fish on a stringer the whole afternoon. We searched the shallows from log boom to rocky point for nada. No bass, cats, or sunfish. Ended up at the deep end of log boom for the rest of the evening too soak and sunburn.

Sometime in the evening we get bit on the bottom rig. Brought it up and netted this 14" beauty.

Yes, on the mack... in July!

Nothing much else in terms of action until sundown when we got a huge take down and got the kiddo to fight it. Saw he was having a hard time and I went over to assist. I kept the rod off the gunwale while my son cranked it in. But alas one good tug and it was off. Frayed the 8# leader on what I guess was its spines. Drats!

Only saw one other boat next to us land a decent size cat. Saw birds spying on schools of shad. Then as the sun dipped below the hill we noticed lots of topwater action which looked like sunfish feeding on flys. Right next to the boat under the rod tips at times. Left at 9pm. Never been night fishing at Poway. But certainly wont be the last. Next stock is next week. I'll be armed with bird food.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:51:16 PM by skrilla »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Poway 7/3 PM and night fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
That sounds fun.

spideyjg

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 07:14:49 PM »
Time for Bird feed boilies ;)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »
Interesting... cut that sucka open and inspected it's stomach contents. Another piece of mackeral WITH the backbone. Probably from a discarded piece from someone elses mack. A couple small fry maybe shad. And a cig butt. But alas, didn't taste like smoked trout.  :P

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
Interesting... cut that sucka open and inspected it's stomach contents. Another piece of mackeral WITH the backbone. Probably from a discarded piece from someone elses mack. A couple small fry maybe shad. And a cig butt. But alas, didn't taste like smoked trout.  :P

That's crazy.  I wonder if the trout was swimming with the catfishes all confused and such.  ??? lol

Cool report Len. I only night fished the log boom there once and it was PACKED!  I did get two nice kitties though.  Great story and great read.  So the secret for trout is whole mackerel and the secret for cats is bird seed.  Got it!  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.