Author Topic: Mini GT  (Read 2099 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Mini GT
« on: May 26, 2015, 04:11:44 AM »
I received a custom Rainshadow RCLB80XL in return for a rebuilt Calcutta 400 I did over the winter. had the builder use Hardloy guides and wrap it up as a spinner with split grips. perfect for bouncing around on the rocks with. paired it up with a spinfisher SSV5500, 300yrds 30lb PP super splick 8 and a topshot of 20lb Berkley big game.

went out the first night and hopped out to some rocks just high enough the surf wouldn't engulf me but it was really windy and my lures weren't getting much further than 30 yards.

second night comes around and its raining but the wind subsided so I gave it a go! 3rd cast on a super slow retrieve (I was seeing how slow I could bring in the X rap 12 and still feel it working) and I nailed this guy. a 21" GT.

after that I played with some top waters and had fun watching the houndfish attack it but no hookups.

after moving to a different rock I caught something out of the corner of my eye. I looked down and it looked like a white eel was hovering near the surface right at my feet. turned on my head lamp and this 40" (ish) spotted eagle ray was eating shrimp off the rock and its white underside was barely visible making it look like and eel. took out my camera and tried to snap a shot as it swam off.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Mini GT
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 07:06:54 AM »
So cool to see a GT and a spotted eagle ray on the boards!  Super nice fish Chris!  The GT will be on my list until I can get out to where they live.  Not even a super El Nino will bring them here.  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 10:31:06 AM »
yeah son.. getting em
 8)
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
very cool!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
Stoked ...

those things are fun ... !

8) 8)

greyhoundfan

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »
that is cool..love catching them papio's..