Author Topic: Surf Skunk 5/22  (Read 2579 times)

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
Surf Skunk 5/22
« on: May 23, 2015, 10:09:17 AM »
Friday night conditions were near perfect and hopes were high. Fished from 7-12 on a nice incoming tide with one bite.
This bite however was almost a guaranteed soupfin. The clicker went screaming on the fathom and B_Litz set the hook nicely and when the fish felt it the head shakes/tail slaps were making the rod tip go crazy. After about a minute the fish goes on another run and pop. F@CK. We both thought he either got tail slapped or cut off on structure but when we go to investigate the line, we see that it was the knot that busted from the white braid to the 75 yards of green heavy braid he uses for topshot.

The frustrating part that brought my friend to a rage was that the Knot was tied by a tackle shop where he got the reel spooled. Moral of the story tie your own knots. We learned the hard way but its still encouraging to almost know for sure we had a soup on.

Going back out for some redemption tonight.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Surf Skunk 5/22
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »
What knot? What shop? Which guy? Just curious.

I do my own connections so failure is all on me. Spool my own too.

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:43:02 AM »
It was an Albright which I don't like I prefer uni to uni. It was at turners. It was the women who works the fishing department who tied it. She is usually really solid though.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:48:59 AM by ztesta »

B_Litz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 12:30:58 PM »
Yeah super frustrating. I reeled in thinking I would get most of my line back and what I got at the end was some spiral white braid from the knot. Of coarse the one time I don't spool my own or do my own knots I get screwed. At least I learned.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 12:50:15 AM »
That stings! At least you know they're there!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »
Ouch!  I hate to say it, but that's a painful lesson learned.  I use something like an Albright, not really sure of its name, but it holds up pretty good.  If it doesn't cinch down right, you need to cut it off and retie.  It's a very unforgiving knot if it doesn't all slide down and tighten properly.

That sounds like a Soupie for sure you had on!  Right there is telling you are in the right spot for future trips. 
It's only a matter of time now before you guys beach one!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

B_Litz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »
Ouch!  I hate to say it, but that's a painful lesson learned.  I use something like an Albright, not really sure of its name, but it holds up pretty good.  If it doesn't cinch down right, you need to cut it off and retie.  It's a very unforgiving knot if it doesn't all slide down and tighten properly.

That sounds like a Soupie for sure you had on!  Right there is telling you are in the right spot for future trips. 
It's only a matter of time now before you guys beach one!

Awesome good to know, we've been thinking about other spots like Torrey pines but for now we are gonna try this spot three or four more times

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »
Lot of rays moving in lately, I think you should continue checking out your spot...it's only a matter of time