Author Topic: New Toy Penn Fathom  (Read 17509 times)

B_Litz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
New Toy Penn Fathom
« on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »
Got myself a penn fathom 30 for the surf. Upgrading from a penn 8000 spinner to a nice conventional. I'm wondering what line I should put on it. Also, do any of you have any suggestions for a nice rod to pair with it?  that would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

ztesta

• Shovelnose
  • Cant catch a shark
    • View Profile
Re: New Toy Penn Fathom
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:39 PM »
Damn that looks nice bro. Hopefully that will bring us grinner luck :)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »
Sweet.

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 03:03:45 PM »
Nice man, as an example, lately I've bin running 50#braid backing, with 120 yards or so of 40# big game...as for the rod, research a nice setup for tossing 8 and bait...more than not you'll end up having to toss at least 6oz, plus however many of bait...I use the 12' extra heavy emcast, with the reel seat cut off, xwrapped, and my reel mounted like a jig stick...couldn't be happier

B_Litz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 06:19:06 PM »
Nice man, as an example, lately I've bin running 50#braid backing, with 120 yards or so of 40# big game...as for the rod, research a nice setup for tossing 8 and bait...more than not you'll end up having to toss at least 6oz, plus however many of bait...I use the 12' extra heavy emcast, with the reel seat cut off, xwrapped, and my reel mounted like a jig stick...couldn't be happier

Thanks ray. I really appreciate the info on the rod. I'm gonna look into a rod that can throw around 10oz  because I run 6oz sputs and roughly 4oz bait

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
Wow that looks nice. Good upgrade.

I also fish a similar set up. About 250-300 yards of 65lb braid back. 100 yards or so of 40lb mono. Then a 12ft top shot of 80lb for a shock/abrasion section. Some others here go straight braid (100lb+) to the wire.

A lot of rod options out there ... shop around. Picked up a Penn Battalion for @$130 and really like it a lot. It's gold and black too  ;D ;D

B_Litz

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »
Wow that looks nice. Good upgrade.

I also fish a similar set up. About 250-300 yards of 65lb braid back. 100 yards or so of 40lb mono. Then a 12ft top shot of 80lb for a shock/abrasion section. Some others here go straight braid (100lb+) to the wire.

A lot of rod options out there ... shop around. Picked up a Penn Battalion for @$130 and really like it a lot. It's gold and black too  ;D ;D
Thanks man I appreciate it. That is funny you bring up the battalion. I was searching around on tackle direct for some 12 footers and I was thinking that's the one I want to go with. Great specs and cool colors like you said

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »
I will say the handle was a bit long and awkward to fight fish. I cut about 5 inches from the bottom, re-capped, and it's perfect now.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 02:08:36 PM »
It was probably perfect for me Dave.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 02:14:19 PM »
easily ....  ;D ;D

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 10:31:24 PM »
You'll love that Fathom! I have a 30 and two 40s. I run 50# braid on the 30 with 30# mono and 65# on the 40s with 40# mono. I'm not a fan of running straight braid, because when I backlash, I backlash the sh!t out of it and I find it harder to pick out braid than mono.

Lots of rod options out, but I wouldn't go with anything shorter than 10' when surf fishing. Budget is usually the biggest determining factor. I like the Ocean Master rods (Model:OMS12C) great power, light weight, less fatigue, quality components, and pretty affordable. The longer butt section on the surf rods are nice for casting, but like Dave, I cut mine down as well. I guess I'm just too used to our West Coast long rod style.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)