Author Topic: Lasuen Knoll 4/9  (Read 147 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Lasuen Knoll 4/9
« on: April 09, 2024, 02:40:00 PM »
The weather shaped up real nice to the point I figured I had to try the run to the 14 for the deep rockfish. Almost out of the paisans from last week already, so already due for a refill. Had a dentist appt at 1500, so factoring in the sunrise launch, I knew I would only have time for about 3 hours of fishing, but that's been enough for rockfish limits lately when it's on.

Got to the ramp with the parking lot lights still on, for once.

2 hour run to the bank. Morning wind blew against the W swell, but it cleaned up after an hour or so.

Used the big ol' Avet EX30 this day with 50# braid and leader, and a 24oz weight. Comfy T-handle. Started in 1050'. The spot was insta-bit last time, but didn't get a peck. Degrading to reel all the way back up without a bite...

On to 950'. This was where I loaded up in December on chameleons. Nothing. Felt the clock ticking.

Tried a new spot in 550'. Didn't take long to get bit there!

Steady pick on the specks, including a nicer 2lber.

Descended this rosy along with a small chili that came up right after. Started getting into the junk.

Haven't seen a greenstripe in a very long time.

It was 10am with 5 fish in the bag and I was feeling like just keeping whatever came up. Got another small chili and bagged it. Then snagged bottom and lost my rig. Last 24oz weight. Had my 30# rig ready with fresh loops so I headed to the high spot around 350' and tried it for 15 minutes with 16oz. Lots of marks and no bites until the very last minute when I caught this poor rosy that went in the bag.

Left at 10:50. Glassy conditions to start and got into white caps at the last stretch, glad I timed it that way. Also saw a whale as I was getting back on the coastal shelf, but not sure on the ID. Only came up once. Looked like we were on a collision course so I slowed down, then it never came back up. Brown(!) and very smooth (unlike humps or greys), 30-40' length. Not used to brown whales. Any guesses? Cool to see. Maybe a minke, or a fin. I think I saw one from afar last week as well, about 5 miles away from this and similarly near the coastal shelf. Loving the whale action so far this year. Though I'm sure the minute I bring Alicia out for it they will be gone to Alaska.

Not the limit I wanted, but it was a nice day and I did see some variety along with a whale, so can't complain.

Well turns out the appointment is next week…should have stayed out. Even got a text from the dentist office on the water to remind me it’s next week and I saw the sender and assumed it was a day-of reminder.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 07:37:03 PM by jrodda »

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Lasuen Knoll 4/9
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 06:42:40 PM »
I keep a calendar on my desk and write out all my appointments in the squares for each date, I know it's the old fashioned way since cell phones came along but it is a visual reminder as I sit at my computer first thing in the morning, I hate being late or missing something ! Glad you found the fish, sounds like a nice day even if it was cut short. Cyclops report coming soon.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 06:58:01 PM »
I honestly think at this point that they send so many “upcoming appointment” alerts at such weird times that I drown it out and apparently create a new reality. They started alerting me a week ago, then last night, this morning. Didn’t actually read the alerts which is the ultimate problem but the feel of the phone vibrations from them was telling me it’s today. Ultimately very stupid of me. Coulda got my limit then my ass beat on the way home in chop.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 05:31:39 PM »
Your arms must be SORE!  Holy Schnikeys!

You better not reel up a Latimeria before me... that's all I have to say! lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.