Author Topic: Chula Vista  (Read 180 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Chula Vista
« on: March 24, 2024, 10:52:44 AM »
Man, there used to be some great fossil spots in San Diego before the "Big Build" started and all of the land turned into condos and track housing.

Chula Vista is a Pliocene hotspot, but at least I got a few fossils out of there before the tractors ravaged the fossil beds.

3.5' long Manatee Rib between 2.5 and 5 million years old.

I have the electricians coming soon to move my electrical box and have to box up all of my fossils that are in the way.  I haven't held this rib in 13 years, so it was really cool reacquainting myself with it.

So many cool fossils that need to properly be displayed.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Chula Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 04:04:26 PM »
Wow, that is quite a find. No sign of the rest of it? I know how few bones ever actually get to become preserved, but I wonder how the other ribs didn't get preserved.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 04:41:43 PM »
Wow, that is quite a find. No sign of the rest of it? I know how few bones ever actually get to become preserved, but I wonder how the other ribs didn't get preserved.

Too much overburden on the majority of the remaining skeleton, but it looked like most of it weathered away.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 09:20:58 AM »
Fossil are bitchin'

Holding history in your hands and imagining what it was like back then is so cool!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 05:59:13 PM »
 I wish I knew you Back when I was digging up Carlsbad with my Excavator, we dug up some bones and they shut the job site down for a while to preserve a den of Prehistoric Saber Tooth Tiger fossils. It was pretty cool to see this first hand as the Paleontologist explained the scene to us and described this area as a spot where the tigers brought their kill......bones and skeletons everywhere !  Also found a Whale skeleton that was Millions of years old and watched them load it into a Semi Truck and haul it away piece by piece. Pretty cool Hobby to have if you know what to look for and you obviously do, Bravo and keep searching !

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 05:52:31 AM »
I wish I knew you Back when I was digging up Carlsbad with my Excavator, we dug up some bones and they shut the job site down for a while to preserve a den of Prehistoric Saber Tooth Tiger fossils. It was pretty cool to see this first hand as the Paleontologist explained the scene to us and described this area as a spot where the tigers brought their kill......bones and skeletons everywhere !  Also found a Whale skeleton that was Millions of years old and watched them load it into a Semi Truck and haul it away piece by piece. Pretty cool Hobby to have if you know what to look for and you obviously do, Bravo and keep searching !

This is just mean telling me this.  My giant cretaceous ammonite site is now under condos probably because of you.  LOL

(I would have been there in a minute if you called!)  LOL