Author Topic: Local mossbacks  (Read 227 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Local mossbacks
« on: March 22, 2024, 04:30:11 PM »
Hit up the jewel with high hopes and low expectations.

Arrived just after high tide and put out two Xrap 40’s as soon as I crossed the MLPA line. Lots of surface activity and about 10 mins in a troller went off! Fought a kelp stringer to the boat and safely released it… did some circling around and realized the kelp in 90ft is pretty thick and not trollable.

Got outside the kelp and put the diver back out and cruised around from bait puddle to bird pile and made my way over to a small floatilla of boats. Lots of bait going off in and around them so I pushed to the outside. Found a nice gap and cut between them towards some birds nobody was working and when I got about 50 yards from it the yellows started blowing up around me. I stopped the boat and tossed the surface iron, about 4 casts in I got a short strike but it was enough force to spin the boat a little and I noticed my troll lines going across the back. Figured I need to pull those before it makes a mess. Got the first one half way in and snagged some kelp… then the kelp started peeling line. Fish on! Cleared the other line while holding the hooked up rod between my legs and it pulling me sideways.
Stuck the gaff near the throat and  it ripped off, lots of blood everywhere. Another 90 seconds of it fighting for its life left it pretty much bled out and second gaff put it in the boat. As I was getting that fish in the bag they started puddling around me again. Grabbed the surface iron rod and chucked it past two boilers and fish on! Short 5-7 minute fight and got a good gaff shot. Bled it out and had two in the bag.

Had one more opportunity to cast on them after that but the other skiffs were on thier toes and everyone was now racing towards fish and pushing each other out.

Got another boat to snap a couple pics for me and then went home. Good 3 hour session. I wish every day could be this good.

I guessed 25 and 28lbs but they went 29 and 31 to my delight.

Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Local mossbacks
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 04:50:18 PM »
Beyond awesome, nice fish.  Thanks for posting
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 05:56:55 PM »
Congrats again, those are some quality fish. Another gamefish species knocked off for your inflatable game.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 08:58:33 AM »
Forgot to mention that I started working out again (albeit starting from scratch) but hoping to be in fishing shape soon.  I got soft on those trout the past few months.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 09:44:37 AM »
Forgot to mention that I started working out again (albeit starting from scratch) but hoping to be in fishing shape soon.  I got soft on those trout the past few months.  lol

pulling on those bluefin will give you roids
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 07:41:45 PM »
 That's a great 3 hour session, nice Kill Bag too !

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 05:48:45 AM »
Nice boat BTW Chris.  I bet it's nice having the extra room compared to the narrow inflatable.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 02:26:30 PM »
Nice boat BTW Chris.  I bet it's nice having the extra room compared to the narrow inflatable.

Thanks! Still very minimal style fishing but being able to stand up and carry more Ice is really nice.

In the pic I have a 15 gallon bait trash can (plumbed for 10 gallons) 6 gallons of gas, yeti 105 with cushion (holds extra ice, drinks and food but mainly a seat), crate with rod holders and tackle (under the front bench seat which is used to hold my FF and Measuring board), 48” kill bag and bow bag.

Having the bait tank on board really takes up a lot of room but I’m glad to be able to take it when I need it.
Keep it tight