Author Topic: Spring Bass 3/20  (Read 164 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Spring Bass 3/20
« on: March 20, 2024, 04:15:52 PM »
Out of the harbor about 0730. Plan was a 50/50 split on trolling for bass and squid for critters/sheeps.

First stop was on a tiny stone that landed me 3 bass in a just a few minutes before it cooled.

Moved to Izor's for a quick look. Still plenty of fish as always. Actually hooked up this time on a 2# sandie. Dropped squid on the marks and got no attention.

Decided to focus up on the squid drifts while the wind was down in the morning and I already broke the skunk. Moved over to Critter Land and got a good bite but came off after a few seconds. Saw that it bit the hook with the squid head so I felt like that might have been my sheep.

Critters were slow. Hopping from one small area to the next I found enough marks that seemed like the usual suspects, but they just weren't committing. I did end up catching a 20" sandie on a squid head though.

And a dink turd with extra sharp teeth.

Sheeps and skrillas wanted nothin' to do with it so I took the hint and headed to a few spots I don't normally fish.

Weird fishes.

Found a stone with a few more willing players.

Got some slime on a new Yozuri.

Not seeing a lot of calicos this past year but found two today.

Finished around 1200 with a dozen bass. Just as I reeled in for the last time, my outboard puttered out. Oi! Sounded like a lack of fuel pressure. Checked the bulb, yeah. Squeezed it a bunch of times and not much happened. Got it started again and got home fine. Realized the valve on the tank was slowly coming unscrewed so it wasn't as compressed as it should be. Hope that was the issue anyway.

Got back to the ramp and these two older guys with a nearly brand new Robalo 302 were trying to get it on their trailer. I don't know nothin' about nothin' when it comes to getting a boat on a trailer, but I genuinely believed their boat was not making it home the way they handled it. Boat wasn't snug on the trailer, creaking quite a bit as it came out of the water. They broke the bow winch strap and did some kind of repair that didn't look real. Then I got on the road behind them and realized how monstrous the boat really was. Had to google it: 30' x 10'6" and 9000lbs. No oversize load signs or nothin'. Their stern straps were absurdly undersized, especially considering the condition of the bow strap. Again, I don't know about trailering boats. But they certainly did a good job making me nervous.

Op, and they left the antenna up.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Bass 3/20
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 05:18:11 PM »
Yeah, most people and boats generally scare the crap out of me.... lol

Thanks Jeremy for the report!  Man, I can't believe all the bass you are getting without a sniff from a butt!?!?  And yes, they hang at the edges of structure, especially where the bass hang. 

I was ready to put something up, but it will have to wait until after dinner.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 07:28:54 AM »
without a sniff from a butt!?!?

Hey Koga you've been sniffing a lot of butts, what do I gotta do?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »
without a sniff from a butt!?!?

Hey Koga you've been sniffing a lot of butts, what do I gotta do?

Koga's nose has been stained brown for 60+ years....  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 09:03:46 AM »
two idiots that own boats

the guys trailering the behemoth are pinheads

i specialize in female butts, cannot help you two clowns looking for male butts
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 04:07:18 PM »
The ramp is quite amusing at times, glad you're getting out Jeremy
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 07:48:11 PM »
 If you want to see some crazy stuff, watch The Chit Show on Youtube. Glad the Bass wanted to play, I'm holding out for nicer weather before I take The Cyclops out but I am chomping at the Bit !

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 09:55:34 PM »
If you want to see some crazy stuff, watch The Chit Show on Youtube. Glad the Bass wanted to play, I'm holding out for nicer weather before I take The Cyclops out but I am chomping at the Bit !

Good weather is on the horizon! Definitely none for my next two days off but I have faith there will be a good window at the start of rockfish season.