Author Topic: The Ides of March (3/15)  (Read 167 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Ides of March (3/15)
« on: March 16, 2024, 08:36:59 AM »
Well, after work, I ran down to the puddles to see if I could get one of the last big trout in the lake, but beware of the Ides of March.

There was a bass guy fishing near me, but was giving some space.  I get my first casts out and the baits were perfect.  Then some older trout dude rolls up right next to my rod and casts right over my line.  As he's reeling up my line, I'm heading down to keep him from f@cking up my entire line.  He goes, "It's not a fish, I' snagged your line"  where I responded "No f@cking sh!t".  Needless to say, he couldn't even untangle his lure out of my line, so I had to clear his mess.  Ugh... Ides of March...

Fishing was slow and apparently smaller red ear moved in and just kept plucking my bait to pieces.

I finally get on the board, but it was absolutely the smallest trout I've caught in probably a decade!  What a runt! (swallowed the damn hook though and bled out so it's going to be a "neighbor's treat").

I look over to the bass guy and he hooks a monster!  Definitely the one I've seen the past few weeks and it was a whopper!  I guessed it was a 10#er when I initially saw it last week, but he got a measurement and weight with his wife taking pics for him.  9.7 pounds and what a slug!  A few casts later and he got the male, about 2-3 pounds before moving on.  I did have my bass gear and did some casting, but no dice for me.

I saw a few trout swimming the shoreline, but couldn't get them to hit a flylined crawler. 

A kid walks by and asks if he could trade a few hooks for a bobber, but he was the most courteous kid I've bumped into, and I gave him my only pencil bobber in the box.  I wish all kids had this kids etiquette. 
He said he saw a 10# trout swimming the shoreline and went back out looking for him. 

About an hour later, I saw a trout head pop up in front of me and it was leaving a wake.  I saw it and it was a roughly 6# rainbow!  Something wasn't right though as it was swimming funny and seemed like a zombie.  I dropeed a flylined crawler in it's face and cast some tube jigs in front of it, but all it did was change directions and wanted nothing to do with it.  I'm thinking the trout are all crapping out now and It's probably going to be Cats from here on out.

Well, at 6:30 a black cloud rolled in with winds and a temp drop of probably 10 degrees!  I decided to pack it in and give the Ides of March the unanimous win.

Well, the healing is coming along and I have 9 more days before I have my re-evaluation.  Until then, have a great weekend everyone!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:14:48 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: The Ides of March (3/15)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 04:53:47 PM »
Cute trout. Interesting about the big bass getting caught. It's about time for spawners.

Looking forward to you picking up where you left off with cat exploits. You'll probably inspire me to go find my first blue cat with one or two good reports.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 09:32:16 PM »
 Too bad the old man didn't have the etiquette of the young kid :D  You are getting in some serious Trout Time, glad the healing is going well !

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 03:55:12 AM »
How is your stomach Tom?  Glad you got somewhere close to decompress
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 10:06:56 AM »
How is your stomach Tom?  Glad you got somewhere close to decompress

Getting better everyday Verne.  I'm usually till sore by the end of the day but feeling like I turned the corner.   Going to try for a few hours later and see if I can catch that big dopey trout I saw the other day.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.