Author Topic: Afternoon Santee PB (3/12)  (Read 161 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Afternoon Santee PB (3/12)
« on: March 12, 2024, 08:56:44 PM »
Getting out even for a short time was addicting and I needed an afternoon fix.  My wife decided to join me to keep an eye out in case I did something stupid to hurt myself out there.  She grabbed a c*cktail and just chilled while I just chilled and fished.  14 days without a drink for me and I'm pretty stoked.

Well, I got hammered, but I had to get to my rod at "Dave" speed  in order to prevent any surgical complications.  I felt something at the end of the line and it was gone just like that.

A few casts later and the same thing, only after the bite there was nothing.  I reeled in a bare hook, so I got robbed!

30 minutes later and I see my strike indicator take a fast drop!  As I waited for the rod to load up, i felt the fish drop it.  Ugh... 0/3.

My wife had enough, so went home to get dinner ready.  I stayed until the last possible minute and packed up everything except for one rod I left for last.  I even pulled the SI off it.  As I was putting the net in the back of the truck, I heard a screaming reel!  WTF?  On the last second of the last cast!

I knew it wasn't a catfish, trout or turtle.  I thought bass, but that didn't feel right either.  New virgin reel was singing and it was a lot of fun!  Then I see it.  My personal Santee Lakes PB Red Ear! (I measured it against the rod and have to double check, but it was 12-13 inches from eye balling it. 

Well, time to hit the road and get some shut eye.  I'm going to try and go int work for a half day tomorrow since my work is getting so far behind.  Not having anyone else in my department sucks because no work gets done when I'm out, (I'm also not a real good 'work from home' type of guy).  Well, it's nice to see something new from here.  I've only caught Bluegill here, so this is also my first Red Ear from the puddles!  Great way to end it.

Thanks for reading and still looking for the 10# trout.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Afternoon Santee PB (3/12)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 09:28:41 PM »
My one red ear was a real dinner plate breeder male probably 10 years ago now. Seeing a female that big is cool, congrats on the PB. Glad you're still all in one piece after 2 fishing sessions.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 02:59:16 AM »
14 days without a drink for me and I'm pretty stoked

Right on Tom, much congrats
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 06:30:22 AM »
suggest you send some filets to your hernia doctor, he was shocked when i sent him your fishing pictures
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 06:48:53 AM »
suggest you send some filets to your hernia doctor, he was shocked when i sent him your fishing pictures

I'm pretty sure this was not on his list he gave me for the path to recovery, but I'll send him some mudfish fillets and say it's Chilean Sea Bass.  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 06:53:07 AM »
My one red ear was a real dinner plate breeder male probably 10 years ago now. Seeing a female that big is cool, congrats on the PB. Glad you're still all in one piece after 2 fishing sessions.

My biggest Red Ear I caught was fishing catfish with Squatch at Lake Jennings.  I got a 15" and we were shocked when I landed it.  It would have been a lot more fun on trout gear, but I got him on the light catfish/bass set up.