Author Topic: Weren't Answering The Door Today 3/10  (Read 206 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Weren't Answering The Door Today 3/10
« on: March 10, 2024, 02:07:39 PM »
Was a bit tough waking up to my first alarm this morning being Spring Forward, so got a little later start than anticipated. WOT out the harbor about 0800. Brought shrimp as today's cut bait for a real college try at sheephead. Had some hope for the day with a good tide and great weather.

Stopped on my first spot and was marking plenty of fish but no bites, not even bait stealers. Looked like the usual layers of bass, whitefish, and blacksmith, so very surprised I didn't get a nip. Moved to my intended AO for the day and there were two party boats working the area, hadn't seen them before in that zone.

There was soooooooooo much bait past the 100' contour on the flat. 20 yard wide balls every 50 yards at times.

And not nearly as many whitefish marks as usual in my AO. Thought that was weird. Had bait stealers but they were very subtle, unlike the usual absurdly aggressive baby skrillas. Got 2 small reds but no whitefish or sheephead. Bites and marks were very few and far between.

Started back shallower. Wondered if the party boats had been hitting that area all winter draining it dry of the whitefish. Got over to Izor's where there were 4 other boats and started trolling my 3 way rig to maybe pick off some bass.

TONS of fish in the area, and zero bites.

Got hung up a lot on those those relief points for no payoff, moved shallower. More marks than I'd ever seen in shallow but once again zero bites.

Normally I see 2 marks tight to the bottom and 10 seconds later I'm bit. So I'm amazed that I probably put my presentation in front of hundreds more fish today and got not a tap. Maybe they're all full on all that bait in the area.

Frustrating. But nice day. Not skunked, though kinda felt like it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 07:38:25 PM by jrodda »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Weren't Answering The Door Today 3/10
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 04:35:31 PM »
Hopefully things will pick up when the water warms, it's been really slow for us
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 06:55:34 PM »
 The screen looks alive but no takers, always a bummer, hope it turns on soon cause I'm done with Winter !

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 08:42:04 AM »
I hate to tell you, but that screen is hundreds of 40 pound halibut swimming on top of each other like pancakes!  You missed your opportunity!

hahaha, great write up Jeremy!  I remember those days with hundreds of acres of bait and couldn't get the fish to bite because they were plugged and/or too much bait to pick yours out of the crowd.  I do love that structure you're on.  Looks similar to the stuff I usually fish.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 12:41:33 PM »
.  I do love that structure you're on.  Looks similar to the stuff I usually fish.

That stuff in 90’ is Izor’s. Very popular and gets a ton of pressure. For the amount of fish always there I do terribly every time I try it, a fish an hour at best. Though other guys insist they have 20 fish days there all the time, I never see other boats doing well and if I catch anything they will normally get on top of my drift. Basically I think it’s Land of The Newbs with few exception's. Can’t argue with that mass of fish though.

Maybe not 40lb halibut, but that packed school pic resembled wsb. I need to get one of those in line underwater cameras. I wanna see how the fish are reacting to my trolling, what the bottom really looks like, and whether that’s seabass or calicos I just wanna see that wall of fish.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 01:24:14 PM »
I hate to tell you, but that screen is hundreds of 40 pound halibut swimming on top of each other like pancakes!  You missed your opportunity!

hahaha, great write up Jeremy!  I remember those days with hundreds of acres of bait and couldn't get the fish to bite because they were plugged and/or too much bait to pick yours out of the crowd.  I do love that structure you're on.  Looks similar to the stuff I usually fish.

posting stoned on meds I see
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)