Author Topic: Bait barge fishing.  (Read 275 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Bait barge fishing.
« on: February 17, 2024, 11:29:18 PM »
An Instagram acquaintance who’s working the Bart hall show posted on IG asking if anyone in SD wanted to fish. I was about 10 mins deep into trying to entice my GF to go fish WSB from 10pm to sun up and she was not biting…
I messaged him and due to show obligations and lack of gear we decided to hit the big bay…in the inflatable.

We launched just before 9pm and went down to the barge. He used a small squidtrex (1/4 or 1/5oz) and I was using 15 gram reaper jigs I just got in the mail. We both worked them the same, cast far, hit bottom then bounce it and keep a steady retrieve and swoop the baits to keep them from snagging grass, rocks and ropes on the bottom.

I was using a light rod rated 4-10 with 10lb braid and 15lb leader.

It was a slow but steady bite. About one in ten casts got hit and our hookup ratio was in the 90th percentile. Idk how a fish can bite a jig with an assist hook and treble and not get hooked….

Early on I hooked something that felt like a cross between a batray and halibut. Didn’t think it was huge but might be legal…. Got it up and it was a lobster! Measured it and it was legal too! Bummer.

Had a few hours of fun with spotties, calicos and sand bass (I got the big bay trifecta!) and then my buddy hooks up and it’s pinned his 2-8lb rod… big slow swoops on the rod and a heavy pull…. He works it up and it’s a huge lobster! I net it and we take pics then release it.

We saw Josh on his scout slaying the sand bass out there too.

Another hour goes by and we got a couple more bass but nothing great and decided to call it.
Boat on the trailer by 1:45 and home at 2:30am up for little league practice at 7 and regretting it… 34 is rough but fishing is fun.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 06:31:35 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Bait barge fishing.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 04:01:46 AM »
Works for me Chris, wish we had a big bay
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 10:03:25 AM »
Wish I lived a little closer to the bays down there as well. Nice session. Ballsy to do a late session before an early wake up.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 05:48:33 AM »
Right on Chris!  Those squidtrex look like really cool little lures and that's one hell of a lobster!

I got word of the WSB starting to chew at the islands and heard of some mainland ones caught, but up by your way.  I haven't heard anything down here yet.

Well, excellent work as always!  Cheers!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.