Author Topic: Odd February Day 2/11  (Read 219 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Odd February Day 2/11
« on: February 11, 2024, 02:09:07 PM »
Met up with Jared at the ramp at 0700. Wanted to try scouting for sheephead with shrimp, and bounce balling in a new area with bigger lures hoping to capitalize on halibut or at least bigger bass.

Overall good weather out the gate. First new stone looked like it just had junk on it, and they weren't hungry.

Started bounce balling on the way to the next stone. Just before the stone, Jared hooks up. Then I look at the FF and fish start showing. I got bit and farmed it. He pulls up a nice 3# class fish.

We went over it again and got a double, two more 3# class fish.

Stopped on it with the shrimp and I pulled off a small female sheephead but it slipped out of my hands before a pic. Swam off strong which is what counts.

That stone cooled, kept moving. Jared was picking off 3#ers in the middle of nowhere between stones, my swimbait wasn't getting sniffed.

We pulled up on the next stone and he goes bendo then loses it. Then I drop shrimp down and I get hammered. Hoped for a bigger sheephead but another 3# turd.

Farmed another. FF was showing wild marks, fish were lit up and all up and down the water column. Then they disappeared. Couldn't locate them again, they just kinda left the structure. Picked off a couple blacksmith between us with the shrimp but no sheeps home.

Doing a big circle around Jared picked off another similar sized turd in the middle of nowhere. I finally switched from a baitfish color to the calico hunter he was using.

Headed in shallower and he pulled one short while we bounced from structure over to the beach and it went dead. Last drop I somehow impaled a mantis shrimp though. Kept it far away from the boat.

Got back to the ramp at 1200. If we had fished in the local bass tournament yesterday we could have won money with our bag today, probably a 15-17# best 5 for us. New zone had surprisingly great bass results. At least saw a sheep today which was good but I think I have better spots for them. And halibut aren't real.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 07:40:05 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Odd February Day 2/11
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 05:49:20 AM »
And halibut aren't real.

That's some really good turd roller fishing guys!  Definitely all chunks!

As for the Mantis Shrinp, I've seen people with their thumbnails knocked off from those things as well as heard 5 gallon buckets cracked.  Good to keep it away from the boat.

...and I think you may be right.  I used to crush the big halibut, now just crickets.  They are all lies nowadays!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.