Author Topic: Needing Payback (2/7)  (Read 421 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Needing Payback (2/7)
« on: February 07, 2024, 07:56:42 PM »
Work hasn't lightened up one bit and I just have to take whatever time I have to get some fishing in.  With all of this weather, the easy thing is to hit Santee Lakes.

I just wrapped up my last meeting of the day when I saw I had 90 minutes before the lakes closed.  I bought my annual parking permit, so I figured it probably averaged $6.50 an hour to spend it soaking some baits.  I only brought the bait sticks this time and forgot my net.  This was going to suck if I caught anything, but I have to admit expectations were low.

I drive by from the outside to see my spot is wide open.  By the time I pay and cruise around, there is a guy literally fishing my rod holder holes in the ground.  I was a little bummed out at first, but decided to keep driving and check out a new lake.  I had no idea if there was anything in here as the last time they stocked it was about a month ago, but I put out the 2# and 4# bait rods.  Pinched inflated crawlers was my bait of choice.

I was literally texting Steve that I was fishing when I heard the SCREAMING of a reel!  Holy sh!t!  The 9' 2# rod was doubled over and I could feel this thing had a lot of weight to it. 
I lost track of time fighting it since I didn't want to lose it, but figured it was a cat even though it was fighting unlike the usual channels I catch there.

I then get a flash in the muddy water and was like WTF?!?!?  I somehow hot it next to some shoreline with its head wedged just on enough shoreline to bear hug that bitch onto the shore! 

35.25" and I'm pretty sure it was around 20#, give or take a couple.  What a butterball!

I literally cast out again and within 5 minutes go bendo!  This time it was definitely a better grade trout!  If I didn't know better, it was a Nebraska Tailwalker from all the jumping it di, but I slid it to the only spot I could grab it and got the first trout on the board!

I cast out again and immediately get bit!  I kept trying to text Sasquatch, but the damn fish were getting in the way!  Another trout jumping all over the place!  I get him close to the spot to scoop him, but he only stayed in net range and I had no net.  He made one last run and was off... Oh well, still a blast.

Then I finally get to text Squatch a barrage of pics when I see the strike indicator go flying off the line and full bendo!  This time on the 4# rod thankfully!

I knew right away it was a catfish and another big one.  I got eyes on it and it was a huge Channel Cat!  Nowhere near as fat as the Blue, but super respectable none the less!

It's now 5 minutes to closing and I make one more cast with the 2# rod since it layed quiet for 20 minutes.  By the time I put the strike indicator on, it went tight and another fish on!  At the bell, I got a decent 2.5# rainbow!  WOW!  I was expecting nothing and was not impressed with the spot I was fishing, but I love surprises!

Thanks for reading my puddle reports!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 08:01:00 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Needing Payback (2/7)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 11:32:19 PM »
Oh my god that's a huge cat on 2#. Might have been state IGFA line class worthy. I'd call that a great trip. Great quality all around.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 04:19:02 AM »
I'm speechless my man, thems some nice fishies   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 05:36:44 AM »
It was fun getting the texts.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 06:11:18 AM »
You are the Local Legend of Santee Lakes 8) Do they have a Wall of Fame to post your catches ?  Congrats !!!

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 06:53:46 AM »
You are the Local Legend of Santee Lakes 8) Do they have a Wall of Fame to post your catches ?  Congrats !!!

It is in the third stall in the mens bathroom.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 07:42:47 AM »

It is in the third stall in the mens bathroom.

Every once in a blue moon, you really do come up with something funny! lol

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 08:01:04 AM »
Oh my god that's a huge cat on 2#. Might have been state IGFA line class worthy.

So, my theory on the 2# is it's probably 3# or 4# with a 2# diameter.  I usually use Berkley lines and this is Berkley Vanish 2#.  When my oldest daughter was in science class, we devised a test and generated data showing that you generally get what you pay for in fishing lines.  We tested 8# test in 10 different lines from cheapo to quality and did break strengths of all of them.  It pretty much came out how you would have expected, except that the Berkley products broke at a WAY higher poundage then 8#.  I believe the 8# was constantly breaking between 13-14#, but the diameter was that of 8#.  (BTW, Eagle Claw 8# broke at 6# max, but usually at around 5#). 
I never tested the 2#, but I'll try it when it get home from work today, but I suspect it may break at 4# given my remedial study about 15 years ago.