Author Topic: Once My Nemesis.... (2/1)  (Read 414 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Once My Nemesis.... (2/1)
« on: February 02, 2024, 04:41:46 PM »
Now my friend...

The only thing I used to be able to catch consistently in Santee Lakes was carp.  The past 3 years, I've been down there more often trying to mentally cope with family, work, etc.  Ironically, I started figuring some things out and now I kind of know the flow of things.

I finished work and decided to head to the Lakes.  I bought an annual parking permit that doesn't cover holidays and major events, which saved me 40 or 50 bucks, but now I can run down whenever I want!  I also bought some new rain gear so needed to give it a try.

It was pouring rain and I like it that way.  I looked around the lakes and picked my spot.

I kept with the pinched crawlers since I usually get bit on meat over the powerbait.  It gave me some time to start planning some changes I'll have to make in order to keep my sanity.

Well, about 30 minutes into the sit and wait, I saw my rod double over!  I ran down to slack line and no one was home.  Worm was still on there, but deflated.  Recast out...

30 minutes later and I see my strike indicator drop like a lead ball!  I ran out and no one home.  Grrrr.... what is going on here...

Then I see the 2# rod and the strike idicator is in the water, so I ran down and someone was home this time!  It was fighting weird, but I could feel a lot of weight....  WTF?!?!?

Not exactly what I was expecting!

A Biggun!

It even looks like it had Old English style writing under it's shell.

Well, I was planning on that being possibly my only "Catch" of the day, but then my 2# rod was doubled over and screaming out line!  I was so hoping for another lightning trout, but I felt the telltale signs of a cat... and it was a Biggun too!

Well, the skunk was definitely gone now, so anything else would be a bonus.  It was literally 8 minutes to closing and the Rangers were just driving by when I saw my 4# rod finally doubled over!  It's been just the 2# lately...

I thought it was another cat because the line was ripping out until I looked up and saw a trout thrashing and jumping!  WHOA!  The Ranger's watched as I fought him in.  This thing was full of piss and vinegar!  The trout here fight much better than those Jennings triploids.  This one literally had some shoulders on it!

Big one for the cooler and went home with some red meat!

So not too shabby.  I caught 3 different species, and all were quality models. 

Santee Lakes, well, I stopped thinking about all of the bad stuff for 3 hours today and it's right down the street.  I just wish I figured things out here the previous 15 years I've been living here.  lol

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Once My Nemesis.... (2/1)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 08:24:42 PM »
Pretty cool to live so close to the lakes 8) Are you fishing the same lake or switching locations ?

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 10:55:17 PM »
Those turtles can be a PITA. Annual pass sounds like a good deal. My dad used to get those annual state park passes to fish certain beaches and it always paid off.

Nice trout and cat! You don’t normally get bit on the 4#? The more I think the more I need to try the 2#.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 04:10:40 AM »
It gave me some time to start planning some changes I'll have to make in order to keep my sanity

I have no idea what's been going on Tom, but I'm hoping you choose what is best for you.  Good luck my friend
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 05:55:07 AM »
Looks like trout fishing weather all this week!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.