Author Topic: Sunset Perching 1/29  (Read 481 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Sunset Perching 1/29
« on: January 29, 2024, 12:30:24 PM »
Got some car servicing done at 0800. While I was in my car as fluids came and went from my car (not the koga kind) I got a text from Tommy that he was surf fishing HB and headed to Sunset. I said fancy that, I wanted to head over there right after this.

Arrived about 1015. Had an LCFM tied on but as soon as I walked up to the shoreline, the water looked a bit big. Headed back to the car and set up a 3/4oz c-rig. Perfect weight for the morning, got a little downhill drift but not out of control.

Got bit right in front of where I parked, which was a nice convenient change of pace. 2nd cast pulled a micro.

Picked off another then I saw strolling up none other than Tommy and his pal RJ, who was surf fishing for the second time ever and had already picked off a couple on grubs. Tommy seemed done with the morning having broken the skunk earlier, and just wanted to chat with me while RJ and I made casts into the honey hole I'd found. Ended up picking off a 3 more in front of them, mostly 5-6" and one 9".

They got on their way around 1045, peak tide, and the bite pretty much shut off. I moved on from the hole and worked another couple hundred yards and found one more fish, a survivor of a WSP.

Good looking water in this stretch.

6 total perch this morning.

I'm weighing the possibility of taking the boat out tomorrow to bounce ball, but it sounds more relaxing to just hit this zone again in the AM. Surf fishing has legitimately been a miracle drug for me the past few months. Swell will be mellower and LC friendly.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Sunset Perching 1/29
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 04:56:35 PM »
We went perching yesterday, managed about a dozen dinks between us.  I long for the days when 12 to 14" perch were common and a 16" wasn't unheard of   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 07:48:57 PM »
 Great looking water and a Wally is always cool too  8)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 08:12:27 PM »
We went perching yesterday, managed about a dozen dinks between us.  I long for the days when 12 to 14" perch were common and a 16" wasn't unheard of   8)

Nice! I think the pigs are around these days, it’s just a matter of either throwing bigger baits or just putting time in.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 06:05:29 AM »
Nice perch Jeremy!  Back in the 90's, if we didn't get 50 a piece in a few hours, we considered the session a failure.  Now I can't remember the last perch I caught.

You should have seen the size of the striper I caught last night in the surf though!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 07:22:50 AM »
Nice perch Jeremy!  Back in the 90's, if we didn't get 50 a piece in a few hours, we considered the session a failure.  Now I can't remember the last perch I caught.

You should have seen the size of the striper I caught last night in the surf though!

striper or stripper?
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 02:00:17 PM »

In my surf fishing career starting from 2005 I've never had more than a low 40s day. Since moving to the OC my best numbers on the sand have been a 6 fish day, which I've done 3 times and can't get past that. Makes me feel like a newb but these beaches are just plain lifeless. But, at least they're down the street.

Went out this morning for halibut and stripers and found neither. It was more of a scouting trip for when the storm rolls in though. Excited...