Author Topic: Cheating (1/27)  (Read 290 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Cheating (1/27)
« on: January 28, 2024, 08:22:55 AM »
I needed to get the boat out and decided to go on a good old-fashioned halibut hunt.  I never buy bait unless I'm heading offshore, so this should be easy fishing!  I even brought sardine chum just in case I wanted to raise the bar on cheating.  lol

It was a little later start than I thought due to a good night of imbibing, but I was still there early enough.  I pick up a half scoop for $40....  A far cry from $15 when I would buy bait all the time....

It was a pretty slow start and I spent more time checking out new structure and getting some new waypoints.  Weather out there was definitely nicer than anticipated.

I find a rock about as big as my truck and it looked like the usual clouds of bait on it.  I then pick up a nice sandy on the 12# spinner!

I then changed to the downscan and realized they were all boomerangs!  I picked one up here and there, but many of my baits were coming back like this.

I then cheated a second time, by using a chum bag lowered to the depth of the cloud.  So, spot lock...  Live Bait...  and Chum....  Well, let's say that inactive ball of fish all lit up and it went wide open!

Nothing was huge, but almost everything was legal!  60/35/5%  Turds/Calico/Browns

I seriously lost count, but saying I caught 100 is probably not an inaccurate statement.

I then hook something huge on the spinner!  I treated it like a trout and just kept steady pressure not to let him know he was hooked!  I thought it was a yellow at first, then thought it felt like a big BSB....  I was wrong and a 5' thresher came boatside!  I almost gaffed it, but it was such a pup...  well, I only had 3 seconds to think about it because he realized he was hooked now and carved up my 12# bay rod with one swipe of the tail!

Of course, I was texting Squatch to let him know all the fish he was missing out on...  I even threw in some bonito that I never caught... lol

I even fished a few hours longer than expected it was such easy fishing. I really should have switched it up, but getting into a bite like this was special.

On the way in, I see my buddy's boat and yell some stuff over to him.  I didn't notice anyone on board though.

I got a little closer and realized, his boat but not him.  I texted him to find out he rented his boat which was good to know.  The people on the boat were a little confused by my comments though.  hahaha

Well, back home to clean, eat and hit the sack.  More family drama so nothing fun today.  Thankfully It was as good as gets for bass and I'm riding that wave through the rest of the weekend!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 05:39:10 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Cheating (1/27)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 09:44:45 AM »
Of course, I was texting Squatch to let him know all the fish he was missing out on...  I even threw in some bonito that I never caught... lol

That’s funny. 🖕🏻

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 12:16:33 PM »
Right on Tom, thanks for the details.  Bummer about the drama
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 02:42:42 PM »
Amazing numbers. Only time I've hit 100+ was in the Texas flats during an all nighter under lights. Lots of short speckled trout and other stuff...106 fish that night as I recall. Gets feverish after about 30 or 40. All feels the same after that but you just lock into a groove.

Maybe I'll use the lowered chum bag one of these days. Interesting idea.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2024, 06:39:41 PM »
 The good old Chum Bag for The Win 8) Proper current and Chum is a good recipe for fun fishing. Sometime you gotta cheat to get results and it paid off for you 8) 8)