Author Topic: Lightning Struck Twice in a Month (1/23)  (Read 418 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Lightning Struck Twice in a Month (1/23)
« on: January 24, 2024, 03:26:00 PM »
I needed to decompress, so headed down to the local puddles to spend about 2.5 hours of fishing before they closed.  That's about $5.60 an hour to unwind and hopefully pick up some trout for the smoker.

Plan was to start designing the SNBF-XVII logo and chill while watching the rods.

Here's my "Strike Indicator" set up which keeps the line taught in the wind and also easily alerts me when the fish grabs the bait.

It didn't take long before I saw the strike indicator go erect and fish on!  Man, these things are full of piss and vinegar!  It was an awesome fight on 2# test and the noodle rod!
It took a few passes before I got a net under her and a 2.4# trout just made my day in case I didn't get another bite.

I talked with some people, but otherwise it was a good group of fishermen.  Everyone respected everyone else's space which is not common for Trout fishing.

It was about 15 minutes to closing when I looked out the truck window and saw my rod doubled over!  Must be a catfish, but man, it was a hell of a fight and didn't seem like a cat.  The water was super muddy from all the rain and I never got eyes on it.  Actually, it surfaced and threw water a few times, but all I could see was the wake and a lot of water splashing.  I had to navigate multiple obstacles and it finally came into view as I was netting it!  WTF!?!?!   ANOTHER BIG LIGHTNING TROUT!  Nowhere as beautiful as my Cuyamaca one, but just a big fat blob!

It looked like a big giant Banana Slug! (or a freshwater mola mola as someone pointed out)

After getting some pictures, I looked up to see the Rangers saying it's past 5:00 and time to go.  They only let me stay past 5 since they saw what I just caught on the last cast!  LOL

I get home and take a quick weight of the stringer.  It bounced around, but was ~7-3/4 pounds for the two!

Unfortunately, I had Dad duties, so I packed them in ice to head out and clean now.  I promised my wife Crobster Cakes for dinner, so I have a lot to do now.

In any case, Lightning struck twice in January!  I wanted to go again today, but I got the stare of death from the girls, so time to clean some fish and make dinner.

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning Struck Twice in a Month (1/23)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 04:13:57 PM »
Awesome Tom, and now I know what a strike indicator is   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 04:59:08 PM »
Yup don’t know if I would mount that one, just a ball of golden pudge, but still an epic catch. Eating well lately. You and that trout.

I’ve seen Tommy with that style of strike indicator, I haven’t tried such a thing yet. It would combine well with my little baitfeeders if I ever get the gaul to go trout hugging.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 07:52:51 PM »
Time to play The Lotto, 2024 is treating you well 8)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 11:11:53 PM »

Tim where did you unearth that masterpiece?

Gonna start calling lightning trout “Clout Trout” ;D

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 04:55:03 AM »

Tim where did you unearth that masterpiece?

Gonna start calling lightning trout “Clout Trout” ;D

It just showed up on my feed the other day and it was the perfect fit for Tom :)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 05:35:39 AM »
Clout Trout is the perfect name for Lightning Trout.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.