Author Topic: I Had a Dream... (1/15)  (Read 529 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
I Had a Dream... (1/15)
« on: January 15, 2024, 06:04:22 PM »
MLK day and I had off, so time to redeem myself from the Saturday skunkage (Well, skunked on my targeted species).

It sounded pretty dead from what I've been hearing, and I was out all-night playing poker so the odds were small that I would get out.... But I powered through!

Conditions looked great, but there was apparently a lot of people that also had the day off.  I finally saw some breezers and ran up to them casting out my jig stick!  First cast was perfect, but they sunk out and nothing. 

Second cast and my spool release was broken... WTF!?!?  It felt like it was going to fall off, so I just retired it from the day so I didn't ruin it anymre than it was broken....  UGH

All bait balls were deep and I only metered huge macks.  I pinned on the big metal jig and all it attracted was more BIG macks....

I kept a dozen in the live well, when I get slammed!  I missed the bite, but it totally felt like a really weird hit.  I couldn't get it to go again so I dropped down a fresh frozen squid 150' in 320' of water and it gets slammed!  I was sure as sh!t it was a small yellow from the straight up and down fight, but alas.... My curse is real.

I thought it was a smooth hound until it tried to bite me and I noticed the grill!

I had to cut the line to get it out since it was so wrapped up.  I released her and dropped again....  Same results!  This time I had a clean shot at it and released it right away so I didn't have to deal with a lit up soupie in the boat again.

I dropped at 150' again and caught a HUGE Johnny Bass that I released!  WTF was this thing doing swimming in 150' of water in 320+ feet???

I looked up and apparently someone was spying on me and joined the bent rod invitational.  Fuggers, but they were a little respectful thankfully.

I had enough and wanted to call it by noon to run back home.  I trolled and trolled for nada. Radio was depressing since no one found anything but big macks, so I guess it was a win for me.

Anyway, got home to give the boat a good scrubbing.  Also got an earful from my wife and daughter that I'm fishing too much, so i blurted out "Well, Steve coming by tomorrow after work and we're going fishing"...   I then followed that up by saying "I'll save some family time for Wednesday and Thursday though"....  ha.... I'm in the dog house, but it'll be worth it if we find the Lightning Trout tomorrow!

Well, that was it.

Thanks for reading and hopefully we have a report for tomorrow rather thanb a non-report.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: I Had a Dream... (1/15)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 06:18:23 PM »
What were the breezers? YT?

Saw some action at least. Clutch lever is a cheap part, hope it’s a quick turnaround on the fix. Just went through a few of my avets that I really abused the past year and everything was good though dirty.

The ladies gotta know you’re just recharging so your cup runneth over…to them!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 05:49:16 AM »
What were the breezers? YT?

Yep, yellows for sure.

Saw some action at least. Clutch lever is a cheap part, hope it’s a quick turnaround on the fix. Just went through a few of my avets that I really abused the past year and everything was good though dirty.

I really need to have all of my reels serviced, but just haven't found the time to do so.

The ladies gotta know you’re just recharging so your cup runneth over…to them!
Wishful thinking.  lol

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 06:21:09 AM »
They can't eat Swordfish and Lobster dinners if you ain't fishing ;D ;D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 10:03:53 AM »
Got the same lecture from my wife about the brewery recently. We’ve come to a compromise.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 12:46:58 PM »
Worked North along the canyon for nada with at least half a dozen other boats. The NSF passed me a few times each time I was full bendo on macks. At least I learned the yellow/black/yellow lobster buoys are on new to me prime sheephead spots. Also learned a cool little hack using a funnel to help keep kelp off your floats.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 07:05:55 PM »
Women are miserable when men are happy.

They just cannot stand it!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 11:33:32 PM »
I went Tuesday. Launched out of oside and worked all the way to OB and back.
Found lots of bait, birds and whales straight off Torrey. Farmed one bone after trolling circles for an hour. The bait was deep, 150-200ft and sunk out even deeper.

Off PB and OB was full of grass and kelp stringers. So much so it was impossible to troll or find the squid bed.

By the time I got back up to LJ the wind picked up and blew out all the surface signs. I trolled back up north and found the bait had moved off of swamis and was getting beat up by a heard of giant sea lions.

Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 08:01:53 AM »
I went Tuesday. Launched out of oside and worked all the way to OB and back.
Found lots of bait, birds and whales straight off Torrey. Farmed one bone after trolling circles for an hour. The bait was deep, 150-200ft and sunk out even deeper.

Off PB and OB was full of grass and kelp stringers. So much so it was impossible to troll or find the squid bed.

By the time I got back up to LJ the wind picked up and blew out all the surface signs. I trolled back up north and found the bait had moved off of swamis and was getting beat up by a heard of giant sea lions.

Yeah, it's been a weird start of the year.  Thanks for the intel Chris.