Author Topic: Palos Verdes 1/9  (Read 474 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Palos Verdes 1/9
« on: January 09, 2024, 02:45:03 PM »
The plan was a toss up between fishing in 1400' in Newport Canyon for potential sablefish and ratfish, or get going on my plan to bounce ball Palos Verdes to see if I could find some exotics amongst all of its structure. Well, last night I could hardly sleep as I fixated on barn door halibut and tankers coming on board, so my mind had become pretty well made up.

Gave up on sleep before my alarm went off, headed for the ramp. Was on the water about 0645, a bit before sunrise.

North wind kinda f@cked up the ride out, got quite a bit of spray on the second half of the run, the first half being behind the LB break wall.

It smoothed out within a mile of the east side of the MPA, where I would be starting my troll.

The FF wouldn't turn on at the ramp, presumably because of how I have to unclip the battery and that wire may become subject to corrosion...anyway, that definitely put a damper on learning the area like how I wanted to, but regardless I was just gonna follow the relief maps. I just wouldn't be able to pattern it much today.

First bite came after about 20 minutes, big smelt.

The kelp forests had died off quite a bit since I was last in the area about 2 years ago, although there was some growing just out of visibility that I was hooking on occasion.

Ran up onto a pretty wide area of hard bottom and found a few calicos, only one being barely legal.

Hung up on the bottom a number of times but ended up only losing one sinker. But, I later noticed that the front hook eyelet of my Pointer had busted out at some point. Brand new one...still swam fine so maybe I'll seal it somehow and use the back two eyelets.

A mile or two later, a turd.

1030 I decided to head back and bounce along the wall for a bit. Picked up the fish of the day in this 2.5# class sandy.

Tried a few different stretches for no more fish and headed in.

I've got some tweaks I've gotta make to the boat before the next trip. Forgot to put my 2024 stickers on but thankfully wasn't noticed.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Palos Verdes 1/9
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 06:26:19 PM »
I can't imagine getting sprayed that early in the morning :o You found some players without the FF, nice morning session and glad there was no issues without the 2024 tags 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 05:54:07 AM »
I can't imagine getting sprayed that early in the morning

Did I miss something? It sounds like Kogahead cleared his anal pores on Jeremy, but I don't see it in the report...  Hmmmm...

Nice fishing Jeremy.  The crack in the lure seems to be part of the good deal bids I suspect, but as long as the ring holds.  I do have a question, are Sablefish part of the groundfish regs?  I honestly don't know and don't remember them being listed as such, but still never got any confirmation.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 10:46:38 AM »
I can't imagine getting sprayed that early in the morning

Did I miss something? It sounds like Kogahead cleared his anal pores on Jeremy, but I don't see it in the report...  Hmmmm...

Nice fishing Jeremy.  The crack in the lure seems to be part of the good deal bids I suspect, but as long as the ring holds.  I do have a question, are Sablefish part of the groundfish regs?  I honestly don't know and don't remember them being listed as such, but still never got any confirmation.

Ring didn’t hold. My upgraded 2x hook and split ring were strong enough to take the ring with them.

Sablefish, ratfish, whitefish, spiny dogfish, sole, and quite a few other motley crew are considered groundfish but are open year round. It is clearly written in the regs, but the fact that they call them groundfish is what really screws with yours and my memory. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to look to confirm whitefish aren't closed.

Sheephead ARE closed January and February, just double checked because I wrote they were open and they are NOT. That's a really confusing one, no advertisement for the fishery and doesn't line up with the rockfish...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:08:38 PM by jrodda »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 04:22:15 AM »
We've fished north of the pier a couple times, caught several short halibut.  Theresa gets sea sick really easy so I stay inside of the break wall.  Glad you found some players, thanks for the report.

P.S.  They're dredging Marina Del Rey, between that and the water temp we haven't got a single bump
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 05:30:54 AM »
Theresa gets sea sick really easy so I stay inside of the break wall.

Quick question Verne, has she tried the patch?  I know if everything else fails, the patch is about 100% effective. 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.