Author Topic: Muchas Cucarachas (1/6)  (Read 479 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Muchas Cucarachas (1/6)
« on: January 07, 2024, 11:46:09 AM »
Man, they were calling for Gale force winds, and increasing big swell and wind waves, so hooping seemed to possibly be a bad idea tonight.  My buddy said we'll just hoop until we can't take it anymore.

The start was pretty stellar!

It looked more like Florida than San Diego.

Lot's of people fishing this one point and got a word that a striper might have been caught there.  I haven't been able to confirm this, so take that statement with a grain of salt.

There were about a half dozen guys out there hooping, but the swell started breaking across the inlet and well over both sides of the jetty.  No wind yet, but the ominous sign was starting to be obvious.

We did manage a stretch for all 10 hoops, so that was good.

Well, there were LOTS of bugs crawling.....  50% of the throwbacks were an 1/8" short or less, and the other 50% were obvious shorts.

Then the wind kicked up.... Waves were bouncing side to side in the inlet reflecting back and forth from the North and South side, but we moved the hoops back enough to where the wanes stopped breaking inside the inlet.  Pretty gnarly, but the bugs kept coming.

We ended with 188 measured bugs and about 2 dozen that slipped through the net that we didn't mark on the white board.

We got a few nice one, but one in general was the clear winner.  Nothing giant, but still a better quality one.

I couldn't get a picture of all of the bugs as they were grabbing onto each other in the live well like a huge 20# lump of lobster, so I just pulled my limit out and left Shaun's limit in the tank.

Anyway, I'm sore and tired this morning and now get to choose what two lobsters will be held for dinner ceremonies for my wife and I tonight.  I think I'm going to throw them on the barbi like down under!  I have some wiggle room by getting my limit.

Cheers and thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Muchas Cucarachas (1/6)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 11:52:10 AM »
Never been bugging so the whiteboard numbers/system is interesting to me. Despite the loppy conditions sounds like a good night!

Stripers continue to show up with frontal changes…

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 03:15:13 AM »
Simply outstanding Tom, that's a lot of bugs   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 05:49:07 AM »
Never been bugging so the whiteboard numbers/system is interesting to me. Despite the loppy conditions sounds like a good night!

Stripers continue to show up with frontal changes…

Yep, first number is legals.  2nd number is total bugs in net.  End numbers are total legals vs total bugs in the string.  That way you can visually see which nets are producing in case you need to move some of the non-producing nets.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 05:50:30 AM »
Simply outstanding Tom, that's a lot of bugs   ;D

Thanks Verne.  Too many times I've only seen 6 or less all night long and they were all shorts, so seeing a lot of bugs is always much more fun.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 06:06:05 AM »
Ive heard it's always better just after a rain :) Looks like you guys have a good system for counting  8) My buddy got a 12 pounder  in Long Beach Harbor not too long ago :o You will be eating a nice dinner , congrats on the Limits  8) 8)