Author Topic: Broiled Lightning Trout  (Read 1114 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Broiled Lightning Trout
« on: January 05, 2024, 04:48:37 PM »
I was planning on mounting the Lightning Trout but took measurements instead to get a reproduction instead.  I filleted the beast, and it looked just like salmon!  I had some Japanese fish bone tweezers that were gifted to me a while ago and used them to make a perfectly boneless filet.

My wife who hates trout was even pretty amazed and excited to try it since it looked just like salmon.

I cooked it the way my wife likes her salmon, and it was 10x better than any store-bought salmon she ever came home from the store with!  A Garlic and herb butter drizzled over the filet with salt, pepper and cut sweet onion.

Too bad every stocker trout don't get fed the good stuff and have red meat.  It makes such a difference, but it's always a roll of the dice.

I kept the head so I can get it moulded for a body if needed, but I really want a fish mount of this baby!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Broiled Lightning Trout
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2024, 05:03:53 PM »
Looks awesome, excited to see the mount
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 07:00:29 PM »
Looks delicious. I wonder if they will open the salmon this year, I might be game for a few days of torture on the Sac again.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 07:36:29 PM »
If they have red meat, means he’s been living in the wild for a long time. The red comes from eating a natural diet. The pellets they feed stocker trout doesn’t have the correct organic material for the trout to metabolize and make its meat orange to red. The pellets are designed to maximize growth etc.

Looks delicious btw. That’s gonna make a cool mount.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2024, 08:20:44 PM »
Wow. Mid to late 90's was the last time I've seen stocker trout with dark meat. Had a few with eggs in them too. I knew they were fresh stockers because we were fishing them 50ft from the truck as it was unloading them.  ;D I want to say they were Nebraska Tailwalkers but I can't confirm.

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 08:31:44 PM »
I’m sure different hatchery’s prob have some different formulas for the food pellets that may have the proper nutrients that trout metabolize into making the red/orange flesh. I’ve only ever fished trout back in my old home state of PA, but all fresh stockers back then always had white meat. Would occasionally find the random holdover trout hanging with the fresh stockers and these would have the normal orange/red meat. This was mostly stream fishing vs pond/lake fishing.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 10:55:35 AM »
I catch quite a few trout with red meat every year, even just some smaller regular looking stockers so it's probably a high protein feed with keratin and/or shrimp meal that certain lakes stock.  The trout in Santee Lakes usually has red meat fish, and I think they get them from Mt Lassen.  The Idaho ones all seem to have white meat from my experience.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 07:14:00 PM »
Caught a bunch of NE tailwalkers in Lake Mission Viejo.

Dark meat and great to eat, gotta try that recipe.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 09:08:48 AM »
That looks so good  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 06:08:58 PM »
Was so goo the first time, that Banana Slug I caught the other day turned out pretty tasty with some lobster and crab cakes!

Sooooo gooood....

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 07:03:31 PM »
Goooolly, you’re eating some prime seafood…