Author Topic: The "Black Cloud" is REAL! (12/29)  (Read 1118 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The "Black Cloud" is REAL! (12/29)
« on: December 29, 2023, 04:22:57 PM »
We always joked around with Dave that he always had a Black Cloud hovering above him the last 6 years.  I've experienced it and always laughed it off as coincidence every time, but always joked with him about it just for the sake of fun and banter.

His back has been bad, but I finally talked him out on the boat at Lake Jennings to load up on Trout.  The Trout were just planted so this should be easy sauce!

I kind of knew where we should be, but it was nuts to butts trout rats and not a very relaxing shoreline.  We opted to try for our old time and true methods to exactly how you would expect...  In years past, by this time we would be culling them from the live well, but these Utah fish are much dumber than the CA variety and don't travel far from their drop off point.

We fished all morning and went back to where the fish were.  People were catching them in all directions around us, but I was the only one to get a bite and farmed it....  Good god, I hate Jennings now!

Dave said to take a picture of our catch, so I git his net and chain.

We called it and exchanged New Year's cheers as I took some pics for posterity.  So many things change so fast lately, I feel like I need to get picture's now before I don't recognize them anymore since everyone needs to update stuff.

I still wanted to fish, but the boat was out and Dave was leaving.  I laughed and said, I'm going to go down and make a few casts from shore.  If I catch one, the Black Cloud of Dave is actually true and not some superstition.

I walk down to the trail and cast...
Friggand first cast and I'm ON!  It was a sportman's release as I muffed the hand grab and it fell off the hook, but WTF!!!!

Next cast and I'm on again!  Not big, but a 3/4 fish on the mini-jig.   Nasty little finless trout too....

I was immediately swarmed with a couple of kids around 8 or 9 and made another cast.  Nothing, but this time one of the kids was latched onto my leg and I gave him the trout so I could make my escape. 
Seriously, I'm still dumbfounded by this...

Anyway, SL stocked today, so no running the boat tomorrow, but a quick bike ride instead.  Worst case scenario, I do as well as I did today!

All kidding aside, It was great getting out fishing with Dave again.  These days there's not many opportunities to get him out, but it was great doing trout fishing with the guy who introduced me to CA touting.

Well, hopefully a report tomorrow, as I'm trying to get back into the flow of regular fishing.  Cheers everyone!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: The "Black Cloud" is REAL! (12/29)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 10:17:16 PM »
 Black cloud or Banana Deodorant ?? ;D ;D    Nice redemption, I have never been to that lake but I think the best place to catch trout is in Bishop/Mammoth, you have to experience it !!!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 10:27:17 AM »
Mutated stockers are maybe the only fish I don’t wanna touch, which keeps me from heading to the local lakes right now. Tommy is on also on em locally and he found one that was green as a pile of moss and I just gag from that. Sounds fun catching up with a pal though. Boat and truck are looking slick.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 07:14:10 PM »
Mutated stockers are maybe the only fish I don’t wanna touch, which keeps me from heading to the local lakes right now. Tommy is on also on em locally and he found one that was green as a pile of moss and I just gag from that.

You know you want to eat some diploid Oncorhynchus!  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 08:01:38 PM »
You mean a black cloud like this.

I didn't  catch any fish this day either.

- Keith
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 08:47:15 PM by Dark_Knight_9C1 »

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 07:08:41 PM »
Some people only have bad luck.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)