Author Topic: Rockfish Closer 12/27  (Read 447 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Rockfish Closer 12/27
« on: December 27, 2023, 06:17:02 PM »
Gotta say that idk if I've ever been this sore from a boating trip. I can't believe how wiped I am right now and I just woke up from a 2 hour nap.

I've been trying to hit the 14 for one last deep drop trip, but it keeps falling through. Looked like the better window might have been yesterday (26th) and by last night I had the boat packed and ready but it looked like it was gonna be white caps offshore and I would be stuck to the coast once again.

Could barely sleep last night and had visions of poking around the coast for halibut then got to the ramp and it was pretty mellow. Got to the mouth of the harbor at 0700 and it was nicer than expected. Then something caught my eye...2nd humpback I've seen right at the harbor mouth! Really weird spot for a whale to be (and definitely a hazard), but always awesome seeing a whale!

Started heading for the 14, but keeping in mind I would bail and cut back to the coast if I ran into the chop I was expecting, but it stayed glassy. The orcas have been going crazy off San Pedro so I was wondering if they were gonna make their way through the channel and eat me alive today.

The 25 mile ride was less than 2 hours. Feels like that trip gets longer every time I go.

First drop at 0900. Hit the bottom in 1050' and was bit within seconds. God that's a long way up with 24oz + fish. Decent blackgill!

Already felt a blister forming and cramp in my hand from reeling, so put on my work gloves and moved along the same ledge into 950'. Bite stayed instant with the flukes. Chameleon and a fat bank rockfish!

The chameleon's signature forward facing lachrymal spines:

Hanging out with the blackgills and the speckles...

Couple mexicans.

It seriously never took more than 10 seconds to hook up. Got my numbers to 7, then I switched over to the 16oz Mogambo grub with a fluke above it. Took a lot longer to get bit, then when I wrenched in this toad Pink, I found it still went for the fluke. Definitely could have inhaled the grub, too.

The grub took longer to get down so I started moving shallower to 750', 650', 550', and 350'. Never hooked up at any of those depths. Frustrating. Finally got sick of dropping without hookups, and went back to my original spot in 950', and switched back to lead and flukes. Immediately broke off on the bottom :o Lost my only 24oz weight so took a Hawaiin snap and 2 12oz weights and sent it back down. Instant bit. 2 more drops, got to 9 with 2 more chameleons, was sick of the deep drops and headed in. I think I reeled about 6000….7000’ by hand today.

Best of each species. The chameleons turn red after they die.

Hopefully my body recovers and my mind forgets the pain in time for the 2024 opener...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 11:38:43 AM by jrodda »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Rockfish Closer 12/27
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 06:54:27 PM »
1000’ by hand? No thanks. I’ll enjoy the view and wait to see what Tom brings up on the electric.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 04:07:55 AM »
Hit the bottom in 1050' and was bit within seconds. God that's a long way up with
24oz + fish

Already felt a blister forming and cramp in my hand from reeling

What happened to your electric reel?  1050' by hand is insane
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 05:26:47 AM »
My arms and shoulder hurt just from reading this report :o :o  Get em before the season ends  ;)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 10:05:35 AM »
Hit the bottom in 1050' and was bit within seconds. God that's a long way up with
24oz + fish

Already felt a blister forming and cramp in my hand from reeling

What happened to your electric reel?  1050' by hand is insane

I still don’t have an electric reel. It is insane. Rockfish meat is fattier and tastier from that depth but can’t be making that trek and those drops too often.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 03:34:14 PM »
I'd say I feel terrible reading this post since I use an electric reel with anything deeper than 700', but then again, I only tried rockfish 1.25x with it and the rest of the time I was drifting for Swords.

Awesome stuff Jeremy! I always love reading your posts.  I'm a little late checking on the boards lately due to the usual but stoked to see the P-Soul peeps still putting the stories of glory and heartbreak up.

Cheers boss!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.