Author Topic: Kicking Stones (12/17)  (Read 470 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Kicking Stones (12/17)
« on: December 18, 2023, 05:12:04 PM »
Busy weekend and unfortunately, I really beat myself up bad.  I had a lot going on in my head and just hoped a little fishing could get me some therapy.

I love the winter fishing.  Launching with only a couple of boats and just a real serene bay....  Chilly, but that's okay.

Wind chop was worse than expected early, but it greased out just fine.  I went sniffing around the grounds hoping to see some pelagics, but nowhere near the bait or birds from what I saw last week. 

I did see a few trails that looked like rocket exhaust.  It was much cooler in person.

I decided to run out to my numbers and see if it could produce 3 weeks in a row!  I tied on the 10 oz Spro bucktail first. 

It was getting picked to hell, which I would soon find out they were whitefish.  But I did have the right king grab it.  I'm always in amazement catching stuff on these jumbo jigs.  I would have laughed at myself 30 years ago coming from the east coast, but everything is scaled up these days.  lol

I decided to use tuna belly strips instead of the squid to minimize the whitefish cleaning the hook for me with absolute precision.  I went back to the 300 gram jig and tried working for the big ones.

Nothing huge but two were 20" and the others were 16 and 18.5" respectively.

Yeah, you can say it was pretty fun.

My 4th red was the biggest, but probably 1/4", but at least 8oz heavier.  This thing was thick!

I switched up to the Sasquatch Rig that would be a sure fire way to get some Skrillas.  The Sasquatch Rig worked like a charm!  All nice ones, but I got my limit and called it the day.

Quality whitefish.  They even fought really good on the bass gear!

That was it.  Got back to the ramp by 12:30 and home by 1:30.  That was a great quick meat trip.

Unfortunately, back to reality today, but a day of catching always has a way of softening the pain.  lol

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Kicking Stones (12/17)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 05:14:40 PM »
Gotta love the Squatch rig.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 06:09:58 PM »
Another great bottom fish trip. The big lead head style jigs have been tempting to me for a long time for the sake of simplicity, good to see it producing here in SoCal. Though maybe it’s just your particular hole full of huge reds that make it look so productive.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 06:57:09 PM »
 I have a few of them Buck Tails, still in the package ::) Glad you are making the best of the ''end of year'' fishing, you got some nice ones for sure 8) It's amazing how the big Whitefish fight sometimes, even on heavier gear they go BENDO 8) 8)  Be safe out there  :)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 05:13:56 AM »
I sure could use a day of catching, or even fishing for that matter.  It's my turn to have turmoil at home and it sucks   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 01:27:38 PM »
It's my turn to have turmoil at home and it sucks   :(

Man, I'm sorry about that Verne. 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.