Author Topic: Sasquatch Does Exist! (12/10)  (Read 458 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Sasquatch Does Exist! (12/10)
« on: December 12, 2023, 05:52:08 AM »
Well, there was no time to get a post up yesterday and I was planning on getting it up this morning but my work filters are banning me from Imgur.  I'll have to finish the report later, but here is the intro.

I've invited Squatch out a few times, but he has been a busy squatching on the weekends, so no dice.  He finally was able to get out, but didn't want to drop a spool's worth of line every single drop, so we were going to use the manual gear on the West side of the 50-fathom line.

We get down to the ramp and I was greeted by a semi-familiar face along with a just overall happy dude.  I've run into Jason at the ramp quite a few times and talked, but he was gearing up to crush some yellows as they popped up again a few days ago and were in the area.  As he said, "It's like catching trout"...  Where Steve and I laughed because our trout expeditions haven't proved to be too successful.  LOL  (BTW, It was COLD AS f@ck this morning)

Now the dilemma.  I took out all casting gear before heading down to the ramp and only had rockfish gear.  We decided to troll around with Rapalas and see if we could find them.  Lots of birds and bait everywhere, along with boats but we couldn't attract one to the lures.  We gave it an hour and even metered some fish, but no luck.  At this point we decided to head offshore and look for the rockfish before the winds kicked up.

With the east wind, it was a comfortable ride but there was one problem.  Two Navy Destroyers literally sitting on my numbers.  Well, it was right in-between them and I wasn't going to squeeze in between two navy vessels that would have been 100 yards on each side.   At this point, we went on a hunt for another spot and my new Lowrance HDS did the job and found fish...

Oobly Gooblies with some Vermillions in the mix.

Green spotted were the norm with a few green blotched and green striped.

Good grade Reds also.

The Navy Destroyers moved off and we swooped in to the numbers.  The fish WERE THERE AGAIN!

We went toe to toe with really quality fish!

It was really fun fishing and Steve was on fire with the variety!

I then swore I hooked a Lingcod because for 365-375 feet, it fought me the entire way!  Nope, a 6-1/2 pound red instead! (Unfortunately, this isn't the picture of the 6.5 # one, In a rush to put up the pictures, I grabbed the wrong red pic)

Here is the right fish...

We limited in no time.  10:00 am to be exact for our 20 fish limit and 8 Vermillions.

Green Spotted here also...

Bank Perch and whitefish rounded out the sacks.

Real quality on this day, and even though we didn't get a Yellow, Squatch was king of the "Yellowtail"...  He wouldn't pose with them.  LOL

Anyway, thanks for reading and looking forward to the end of the year posts!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 06:58:04 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Sasquatch Does Exist! (12/10)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 09:44:05 PM »
Sweet limits! That big red is a toad. 20 should suffice for dinners into January I would hope.

Was gonna fish last week but noticed my oil level was a little low with no spare quart to top off (then accidentally topped off with gear lube cuz it was dark…..) so fishing plans got delayed yet another week. Hopefully I do get out in time before rockfish closure.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 03:43:55 AM »
That's a nice bunch of fish guys, really nice   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 04:47:50 AM »
Had a great day. So glad I could make it. Dropping 350 feet was easy with the spot lock. Only had to use 8ozs of weight to stay down. Way better to reel back up.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 06:31:46 AM »
Nice quick limits, it's amazing how shallow 350' feels after reeling fish from 500+ There was a Military Vessel section on the test, you were being ''Tested''  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 07:05:27 AM »
Nice quick limits, it's amazing how shallow 350' feels after reeling fish from 500+ There was a Military Vessel section on the test, you were being ''Tested''  ;D

Yeah, I was thinking about that as I was cursing them out for c*ck blocking the secret spot.  ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.