Author Topic: Grocery shopping  (Read 529 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Grocery shopping
« on: November 26, 2023, 12:37:51 PM »
Launched out of oside with my new Seapower 1200 rigged and ready to pull up some taco meat.

Headed straight out to a spot I hit earlier this year and caught some smaller fish but had hopes that being able to quickly do drops I could pick out a few good ones.
Started in 650ft and drifted the spot that led into another spot in 800ft for nothing.

Took off south and metered around Carlsbad canyon but wasn’t seeing anything in the 700-900ft range. Did a blind drop for nothing and went even further south.

Found a little ledge and metered it and the bottom was lit up with blue dots. Did a drop and pulled up a Mexican. Did a couple more and got single and double Mexicans on each drop. Then some green blotches got in on the party.
Kept 8 fish and released 7. I made a little release hook out of a hangar and put it between the weight and leader so I could send the fish down on the same drop as the bait. I’d stop about 100ft above the bottom and reel up a few feet to release it and then continue to descend the baits.
I found one fish floating later on and I’m not sure if it was mine or not. It was being torn apart by birds about 200ft away, I think maybe it spun off the hook on the way up and floated.

Keep it tight

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Grocery shopping
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 01:16:01 PM »
Nice rockfish trip. I like the hanger idea. I've thought about adding my descender clip but don't wanna lose it on the bottom so it's on a separate rod. If the hanger is cheap though then it would be great.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 09:21:48 PM »
 Nice bag of Taco meat  8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 05:46:49 AM »
Nicely done Chris. 

Funny, I just pulled the trigger on a new Tanacom 1200.  I want to see what swims at 1200 feet deep.  I see you have the Seapower which I assume is basically a little more beefed-up variety than the one I got.  Pros?  Cons?  Also what battery did you bring on board.  I still have to get one and trying to figure out which would be best without having to drag out another big 12V. 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 07:01:39 AM »
It has a bigger motor from the Seaborg in it, otherwise the same real but different color. I got a good deal on it from Japan, about $740 to my door and plan on working it into the dirt so I went with it over the Tanacom. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either for what we’re doing recreationally.

I bought a 12v 50aH Lifepo4 battery from power queen. They’ve had good reviews over the last couple years and I regret buying my overpriced Dakota battery for my fish finder. They also have a Mini 100ah that’s about the same size as the 50.

https://ipowerqueen.com/collections/12-8v-series/products/12-8v-50ah-life-po4-battery

Picked up this charger off amazon and it’s supposed to charge in about 5 hours from 0-100%
The battery came at around 70% and was topped off in an hour

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09CGYLD8Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I’m playing with the idea of making a small console to sit up front and might get the mini 100 to run my FF and a real Radio instead of relying on my 6w hand held.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 07:06:57 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 07:21:26 AM »
Thanks Chris.  My reel arrives today and going to have a few beers in the garage and see what rod I'm going to use for it.

I have numbers for black cod somewhere that Ben sent to me, but I hope I can find what folder I dropped them in.  I also have some numbers for black gill also which I really want to catch.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 07:31:17 AM »
Thanks Chris.  My reel arrives today and going to have a few beers in the garage and see what rod I'm going to use for it.

I have numbers for black cod somewhere that Ben sent to me, but I hope I can find what folder I dropped them in.  I also have some numbers for black gill also which I really want to catch.

I put it on my sword rod rated 40-80 and works great. I’m thinking about cutting and stuffing a 50-80lb ugly stik tiger into a bent butt and using that for deep drop so I can have my sword rod back.

I sent you a message over on FB messenger.
Keep it tight

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 12:03:22 PM »

I got those numbers handy if you need them. I need to try a couple of those coordinates before seasons end.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 05:46:48 AM »
Well, the reel and braid never "Arrived" yesterday, so I'm hoping it will be here today.