Author Topic: Dawn to Dusk Swording  (Read 3406 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Dawn to Dusk Swording
« on: November 04, 2023, 09:10:48 PM »
Man, I'm starting to backlog on some trips and need to catch up.

So I get a text from my buddy Matt inviting me out swordfishing.  When he invites you, it's all on him and I know swordfishing on paper, but only a few trips out there to actually try it.  I was thinking this was the trip!

Stopped to get bait in the morning.  Single scoop and Matt gives the guys a hundo.  One of the kids says "Do you want change?"....  Our faces went to disbelief followed by a big laugh.

These hooker reels were bad ass!

Hell, the Steiger Craft was an insanely beautiful boat and built like a tank!

We get out to the grounds and were prepared for BFT that have been going off locally.  50-120 pounder, but none this day.

Being up in the tower with a set of Gyros and I could seriously see Catalina!  lol

Set out the sword baits.  One on a buoy and the other straight up and down with 9# weights.

Their buddies are also commercial guys and had flags set up all over the place.  Everyone caught the day before, but this day everything was quiet.

Then we saw a few Humbacks coming our way.... Then they were under the boat... Then they stayed and gave aus a show. 

Pushing the boat around...

Blowing Rainbows...

Plucking barnacles....

Pushing the boat back and forth....

20 minutes and they wouldn't leave us alone.

Their breath was NASTY!  Like made you want to vomit nasty and they were purposely blasting us!

They would roll onto their backs and just drift with the current along the boat.  We had motors off but the sword lines were still deployed as we didn't want to accidentally hook them.  They seemed very playful with each other and our guess was a male and female.  Then the male (I think) drifted into one of the lines, barely touching it and it exploded out of the water!  HOLY CRAP!  We were videoing every moment of it at 4 different angles since we all were amazed what was happening!

Once it realized we just spooked it, two more whales rolled in and now the big one was grunting and being aggressive trying to chase the new arrivals away while the smaller one literally hid under and next to our boat.

I have a ton of video, but I'm trying to edit it to share with the guys, so soon as I figure out the new program, I'll share with you guys.

We finally after 40 minutes fired up the engines and got out of there.  The humbacks were being very aggressive to each other and we didn't want to be collateral damage.

We resumed setting drifts and actually has a sword bite!  Unfortunately, it never came back, but we even saw it on sonar!

We kept talking about the whales though since it was just an unreal chance encounter that none of us remotely have ever seen before.

We fished until almost sunset before heading back to the barn with nothing to show for it.

It was a full fun day with friends....

The guys decided to go again the next day, but I couldn't swing it.  They didn't get a sword, but found the other quarry we were looking for.  Good for Matt though!  Really cool dude.

Well that was that.  Thanks for reading and I'll get the video posted soon as I can!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 10:18:29 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Donfish

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn to Dusk Swording
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 10:09:38 PM »
Awesome post boss Humpys are fun but yeah kinna scary. The bubble circles they do to seine the baitball are awesome to see. I did 3 seasons of whale watch on the Voyager back in the day out of Redondo saw alot of fun stuff.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 12:11:34 AM »
Wild. I would have to drive away in my pool toy but you’re in just big enough of a boat to feel safe. Thanks for sharing. Too bad the sword didn’t come back around but worth the try.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 01:17:28 AM »
Wow… you got Don to reply. He never replies to my fish.. on any platform.. 🤣

What an epic day! Those whales can be entertaining. I’ve never experienced what you have but have had them come up to
The boat and take a look then continue on. Maybe they smelled something?
Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 03:45:45 AM »
Crazy pics of the whales, can't wait for the video
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 05:29:20 AM »
 That's a very cool encounter with Mother Nature 8) 8)  You should check out Jeffrey Wilson,  he's a Swordfish expert. Fun stuff for sure !

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 07:11:09 AM »
Wild

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 09:16:17 AM »
That's a whale of a tale.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2023, 04:16:46 AM »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 11:46:29 AM »
I almost caught a whale.... literally.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.