Author Topic: The Curse Has Lifted! 11/3  (Read 1497 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
The Curse Has Lifted! 11/3
« on: November 03, 2023, 04:19:32 PM »
Didn't report it but 11/1 I went out in the afternoon and caught another 6 micro YFC in 20 minutes before it shut off. I was thinking of inviting a family of 3 from down the beach in on the bite since they were struggling on their spot, then I saw one pull a corbina and they stopped fishing. Went from feeling generous to jealous real quick!

Anyways, to today.

Got to the beach around 1400. Went from bluebird skies to thick fog right on the beach as I was driving up.

Got down to the water and not so many surfers. Maybe the fog scared them off.

Was working the back side of the high tide. Some mediocre holes but at least a nice drop off right off the hard pack. Was getting micro bites quick. Then a tick tick boom. Felt decent, could be a nice perch. Nope! My first corbina! FINALLY.

My dad joined SCSF October 2005, so that was when we got going surf fishing. 18 years on and off hitting the surf and easily thousands of hours on the sand. To some degree I understand how fishing steeper beaches in the Ventura area kept me away from corbina, but my dad had pulled several while fishing next to me even in those beaches. I figured it was only a matter of time before I hooked one in HB, though. Not the toad I've been fantasizing about forever but the curse is lifted! 130th species. Even took a selfie with it to commemorate the end of the curse.

Sent it back, kept going. Dinks pulling my leg almost every cast, ended up hooking one micro perch by chance.

In case you forgot what they looked like.

That was it for a 90 minute session. Had a pretty anxiety ridden day yesterday and regretted not easing that with a quick surf trip. Certainly fixed me up today.

Thinking about switching over to the LCFM for some sessions now. Tommy has been finding some flatties and now that the corbina is knocked off I can maybe finish my year with a legal butt.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: The Curse Has Lifted! 11/3
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2023, 05:16:06 AM »
Many congrats on your first slider
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 08:35:01 AM »
 Glad you finally got a Bean 8) I probably shared the sand with you back in the day of the SCSF Fish-Offs, my son and I always seemed to participate :)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 11:14:24 AM »
Glad you finally got a Bean 8) I probably shared the sand with you back in the day of the SCSF Fish-Offs, my son and I always seemed to participate :)

I remember going to one in Doheny and another at SaMo. I recall seeing some of the characters I know now like Steve cuz how could you miss him. And FishnFu hollering up a storm as he caught a whole king size comforter on a perch rig. Might remember seeing you as well Tim but might be a mind trick at this point. The sheer number of surf fishermen on the beach was amazing. Wish I went to one of the last ones since I was probably 11 when I did go in ‘06-07, not exactly prime networking age IMO ;D

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 09:04:47 PM »
Well dang, congrats!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 09:30:59 PM »
Wow, first frijole, eh?!?!    Congrats boss! It always feels great when crossing a species off the list, no matter what the size.

SCSFRodda.....   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.