Author Topic: Keychain Croakers, Jumbo Jacksmelt 10/31  (Read 1385 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Keychain Croakers, Jumbo Jacksmelt 10/31
« on: October 31, 2023, 12:23:32 PM »
Got to the beach this morning around 0815. Real nice weather, Santa Anas pretty much gone and replaced by the typical west wind. Dog beach was absolutely LOADED with surfers. Really wanted to fish that but the break was more on the inside and it was wall to wall with kooks. Walked south instead.

This guy was maybe the southernmost surfer. He rode a wave in. Then walked 50 yards up to me, murmured something, I threw him a peace sign. I guess I approved his plan to get in the water directly in front of me. Actually just a few yards up current, just to maintain staying in front of me for a little longer.

A few more surfers spawned out of the ether to consume more open water but eventually found the end of them. Ran into another 2 fishermen and took solace in their presence. Talked to one throwing a crankbait for a minute before he had to go run up and add money to his meter.

Was starting to get micro bites just about every cast. Then missed a few takedowns that should have been surefire hookups. Then, got a super aggressive hit and run. Saw a splash in the surf. Full adrenaline, oh boy a striper? Halibut? Slowed it down pretty quick and it dogged me all the way in. Got on the sand, ahhhhh. Well...PB jacksmelt at 16". Approaching IGFA size. Never seen a smelt with so much girth. Hooked on the pec fin, otherwise I would have googled the record and considered taking it home, so the PSoul family could own yet another baitfish world record.

Finally started hooking up with some other stuff, turned out to be a school of micro YFC.

Ended up pulling out 5 of these keychain croakers. Even the little ones fight good. Got pecked on most casts, went through two pieces of gulp.

Left about 1100. Much needed sand therapy.

Happy Halloween, be safe! Gonna try not to run over anybody delivering food tonight.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 12:36:40 PM by jrodda »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Keychain Croakers, Jumbo Jacksmelt 10/31
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 01:54:24 PM »
Funny you say the croakers fight good. For me after the initial hit they are lackluster at best. Others agree with you so I’m not saying it isn’t true, just that I don’t view them that way.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 08:13:22 PM »
Them surfers are something else ::)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 06:03:39 AM »
I should start a thread to have everyone post pictures up of surfers in front of them.  I have at least 50 in my old fishing folders alone.

Otherwise, nice baby surf tarpon Jeremy.  As for the croaker, I think the last one I caught was a few years ago fishing with Steve in the back bay.  They were big and fought pretty hard, but I also have caught many that Squatch was mentioning that didn't do much but turn on their side and get drug through the suds.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
If Arizona had a beach, the fear of getting shot would correct that crappy surfer behavior.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 04:28:37 AM »
Been forever since I've caught a YFC, glad you found some fish
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect