Author Topic: Okuma sale  (Read 3688 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Okuma sale
« on: October 05, 2023, 01:10:14 PM »
Decent sale going on at Okuma. Bought some perch rods for my sons and I at 50% off. My Clarus is pretty beat up.

https://okumafishingusa.com/collections/specials
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Okuma sale
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 05:35:18 AM »
Decent sale going on at Okuma. Bought some perch rods for my sons and I at 50% off. My Clarus is pretty beat up.

https://okumafishingusa.com/collections/specials

Wow, I might have to get in on this.  That's an impressive sale.

Thanks Mike!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 04:21:26 PM »
I just put an order in for a few reels, a rod and some lures.  Sweet!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 11:22:38 PM »
Just ordered a 7'6" UL Celilo. Sold an 8'er earlier this year and kinda regret it. Thanks for the heads up!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 11:00:10 AM »
Ended up ordering 3 extra "perch" reels for my kids since they're so cheap and I know they'll get dunked a bunch.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 12:23:53 PM »
Ended up ordering 3 extra "perch" reels for my kids since they're so cheap and I know they'll get dunked a bunch.

Which one did you order? I like the look of the Alaris. Would be nice to know how it performs in the hands of a fellow surf fisherman since the reviews tend to come from pond hopping midwesterners.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »

Which one did you order? I like the look of the Alaris. Would be nice to know how it performs in the hands of a fellow surf fisherman since the reviews tend to come from pond hopping midwesterners.

Still waiting for them to arrive. One my sons really digs surf fishing, so we'll put them to the test ASAP.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 07:44:53 AM »

Got 2 of the Alaris 20 spinning reels for my boys and the pink Avenger 1000LEA for my daughter. Matched them up with the CE-S-802UL rods. Took one of my sons and his buddy, who's never fished before, and hit the surf. Reels feel like what I paid for. Very plasticky. We loaded up on some chunky perch with the biggest going about 13-14". Drags felt just... fine. Noticed the knob that held the handle in place would occasionally loosen and had to be tightened up as there would be some play in the handle while cranking in line. They're perfect for perch and other smaller surf critters. The reel makes a super loud clicking/ratcheting sound when tightening the drag.   These are the epitome of disposable reels. Nowhere near the quality or refinement of a Shimano Sedona, a Penn Fierce, or similar reel. I'm hoping they last a year or 2. The rods were better built, but not much better. Fast action. Noticed the reel seat would loosen up over time and the reel wiggle around. I had to walk over and check the boy's rods. Did this about 4 times.       

Not a whole lot to complain considering what I paid for them. 3 reels and rods for less than $160 including S&H.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 09:02:51 AM »
I noticed with my Avenger spinning reels the drag click is unusually quiet when line is being taken, and that’s one of their $50 offerings. So I think in the future I will go above that price point or go with another company.

I already knew the rod was okay quality, I would like an UL rod that has a little smaller guides so there isn’t so much weight on the blank, but I do like the handle. Gonna keep tabs on the reel seat loosening.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 11:47:45 AM »
I've never had much luck with the older Okumas, so I skipped on these.  The UL rods have been super fun for trout and catfish though.