Author Topic: Blood Pressure  (Read 2447 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Blood Pressure
« on: September 27, 2023, 05:52:58 AM »
The home front is finally starting to settle down after a tumultuous year, but work must know this and said "Nope, let's get you back to where need to be... on the verge of a heart attack".  We have a blood pressure machine here at work and I test myself every morning and just before I leave.  Every morning it was high, but still okay at the start of the day.  By the time I leave work, it is in the 150/90 area.  I won't make it long at this rate, so about 6 weeks ago I started really working out every day to see if that helps. 

It didn't help the stress and anxiety of work, but I have to say I'm almost shocked as now my blood pressure at worst is in the 120/75 area.  It's probably what is keeping me hitting the gym.... that and actually seeing muscles I haven't seen in about 3 years.  lol

Anyway, there are so few posts these days, I thought I'd share.  I noticed that many people went over to the social media side where it's only a caption and a picture without any substance, so a story to share is a story to enjoy, good or bad.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Blood Pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 08:33:07 AM »
The home front is finally starting to settle down after a tumultuous year, but work must know this and said "Nope, let's get you back to where need to be... on the verge of a heart attack".  We have a blood pressure machine here at work and I test myself every morning and just before I leave.  Every morning it was high, but still okay at the start of the day.  By the time I leave work, it is in the 150/90 area.  I won't make it long at this rate, so about 6 weeks ago I started really working out every day to see if that helps. 

It didn't help the stress and anxiety of work, but I have to say I'm almost shocked as now my blood pressure at worst is in the 120/75 area.  It's probably what is keeping me hitting the gym.... that and actually seeing muscles I haven't seen in about 3 years.  lol

Anyway, there are so few posts these days, I thought I'd share.  I noticed that many people went over to the social media side where it's only a caption and a picture without any substance, so a story to share is a story to enjoy, good or bad.  8)

Most Doctors will say 150/90 isn't much to worry about, but you did manage to drop it to a normal reading which is great, Congrats 8) Pretty soon you will be Chippendale material with all the working out, Koga will be waiting for his autographed Christmas Calendar ;D ;D

Walking is a great way to lower your BP........along with fishing ;)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 11:37:01 AM »
Nice! Hardest part of working out is getting your ass into the gym. Glad you got your BP in check, we need you around here. And great to hear the family is finally chilling out a bit. They can be your peace from your job, but I get the sense the other way around may be less likely.

I agree with you on the long form. Good to stretch out a bit with a story. Keeps things human and keeps your brain in good, intelligible form. Too many people are losing that fundamental ability these days.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 06:47:26 AM »
Speaking of which, I took my first ambulance ride on the 5th of this month.  My blood pressure was 182/118 and my pulse was 92.  Two days in the hospital (first time in my life) and numerous tests they got it down to 126/74.  Three things came as a result of that experience  1) quit smoking  2) super careful about sodium and caffeine 3)  medication.  Can't complain, it was my first hospital stay in almost 73 years and I quit smoking.  Life is grand, taking the boat out tomorrow   :D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 06:49:40 AM »
Glad you kooks are taking care of yourselves!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 07:52:00 AM »
Speaking of which, I took my first ambulance ride on the 5th of this month.  My blood pressure was 182/118 and my pulse was 92.  Two days in the hospital (first time in my life) and numerous tests they got it down to 126/74.  Three things came as a result of that experience  1) quit smoking  2) super careful about sodium and caffeine 3)  medication.  Can't complain, it was my first hospital stay in almost 73 years and I quit smoking.  Life is grand, taking the boat out tomorrow   :D

Glad to hear you are on the mend, them hospitals can be an eye opener sometimes ;) Good luck on the boat tomorrow !

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 11:39:32 AM »
Whoa Verne, glad you’re doing better now. That’s wild. Good on you dropping smoking on a dime like that.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 05:46:13 AM »

OMG Verne!  That's scary stuff!  Worst was 159 for me and I felt my heartbeat in my eye balls.

Keep on the meds since 180 blood pressure is just nuts.  I'm so glad you got to the hospital when you did.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2023, 05:34:23 AM »

It's a relief to hear that I'm not the only one battling this, although I'm not happy to learn so many of us have to struggle with BP.

Congrats on the workout regime, Tom. I think that coupled with weight loss is probably the best way to reduce BP.

I take readings 2x a day, and they started creeping to 130/90. Not terrible, but not great either. So, doc gave me a small dose of another med and now I'm 113-ish/76-ish. I don't feel lightheaded but sleepy in the afternoon. I hope it doesn't get too low because one time it did when I was driving, I almost passed out, and had to pull over.

I lost 4 pounds as well, and if I can knock out another 10 pounds I think my numbers will zero out.

Like you, Tom, I've had incredible stress at work since January. Seriously considering going part-time or reduced schedule that because I think it's the source of my elevated numbers. I'm too old to put up with bullsh!t at work anymore.

Good luck to all with this.