Author Topic: A Little Too Ambitious 9/6  (Read 2121 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
A Little Too Ambitious 9/6
« on: September 06, 2023, 12:44:43 PM »
Almost went in search of pelagics today, but based on some recent reports, and my general lack of enthusiasm to drive down to DP and then make a 70 mile loop, I decided to go with a different vein of intel. On one end, I heard needlefish invaded Huntington Harbor. I haven't gotten one of those yet, so I figured I'd drag something shiny with tiny trebles and see if I could get one. On another end, my pal reported that he saw some silvery trout looking things chasing bait on the way out of the harbor. Corvina? Up here?? Haven't heard of that before but I don't see why it couldn't happen. Got me excited. Follow the enthusiasm.

Launched about 0700. Tide was pretty sh!tty for the morning and I still wanted to work after, so do the best with what I got. Figured bass would be off the table with so little current, so just focus up on corvinas and needles.

Headed toward the marsh and immediately saw a little topwater action. I was worried he was seeing mullet but this was definitely gamefish. Casted a little baby jerkbait around and within 5 minutes I get bit. Corvina doppleganger. White Seabass, trying its hardest to be a corvina with a lack of bars...

Ain't no vampire though.

Kept seeing occasional blowups, trying a spook as well, but wasn't getting bit. About an hour of this and I switched gears and headed deep into the harbor for needlefish. Put out a chrome jointed crankbait on a slow troll, then put out a second rod to bounce for halibut with an LCFM, because why not.

Spent about 2 hours idling around the harbor without a bite. Corvina-needlefish-legal halibut parlay didn't hit today. Cutie WSB is an okay consolation though. Gave it up around 1015. I might try this whole plan again next week with better tides.

By the way for 1/4oz this casts awesome, and catches short seabass. Yozuri somethinruther.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 12:49:30 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Too Ambitious 9/6
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 05:55:32 PM »
I heard needlefish invaded Huntington Harbor. I haven't gotten one of those yet, so I figured I'd drag something shiny with tiny trebles and see if I could get one.

First off, congrats on the slipper ghost!  Secondly.... Son, don't you know hunting Needlefish is also bad luck?  Not houndfish per say, but needles?  That's like eating a banana on the boat while you're fishing....  Just looking for trouble!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 06:57:27 PM »
I heard needlefish invaded Huntington Harbor. I haven't gotten one of those yet, so I figured I'd drag something shiny with tiny trebles and see if I could get one.

First off, congrats on the slipper ghost!  Secondly.... Son, don't you know hunting Needlefish is also bad luck?  Not houndfish per say, but needles?  That's like eating a banana on the boat while you're fishing....  Just looking for trouble!

LOL! Where on earth did you hear that?? I can’t find anything on targeting needlefish being bad luck. Origin story to that would be interesting. Unfortunately my hankering to catch a needlefish won’t just go away, so I’ve got some dark days ahead…

And, you’re not gonna like how I end up targeting mullet in the near future…

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 07:29:29 PM »
On a positive note re needlefish I saw a guy with one in his bucket with other fish and he said it was the best tasting fish.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 07:50:19 PM »
Eating a Banana in the bath tub with a toaster balancing on the edge, he's poking the bear, playing with fire and RUNNING WITH SCISSORS, all at the same time ! :o :o ;D ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 05:35:04 AM »

LOL! Where on earth did you hear that?? I can’t find anything on targeting needlefish being bad luck. Origin story to that would be interesting. Unfortunately my hankering to catch a needlefish won’t just go away, so I’ve got some dark days ahead…

Ask Steve, he knows about the "Needlefish Curse".

...and banana peels are fine to hunt for mullet from the shore... but in a boat, it's an entirely different story.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 03:17:35 PM »

Ask Steve, he knows about the "Needlefish Curse".

...and banana peels are fine to hunt for mullet from the shore... but in a boat, it's an entirely different story.

Well I know a spot in Newport where I always see them schooling under lights at night, so I might try that spot before drifting for them on the boat. I did read that they break off from the school to feed so might end up drifting for them anyway.

Steve you have something to say about this needlefish curse?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 03:36:30 PM »

He doesn't want to say since it's cursed him so many times on the corvina hunts.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 07:41:49 PM »

He doesn't want to say since it's cursed him so many times on the corvina hunts.
To some they are a highly prized target.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2023, 04:26:00 AM »
You're getting your moneys worth out of the inflatable, love the reports.  Keep it up my man
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect