Author Topic: T.N.B.C (Thursday Night Batray Crew) 8/31  (Read 1797 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
T.N.B.C (Thursday Night Batray Crew) 8/31
« on: September 02, 2023, 09:30:50 AM »
I got home from work and hooked up the boat.  Water temp at the squid grounds was 62 on Sunday and 72 today, so I wasn't sure if they would still be there.
I met Squatch at the ramp at 3:00 and we were off to take a quick look see.

Not a sole around, but I was metering squid.  I set up spot lock and we continued to catch squid the next 4 hours.  I had my 2 speed out looking for that giant yellow or WSB and my rod doubles over!  I'm on!  I so thought I had a yellow on, but after a fun fight, saw the beating of wing flaps....

We looked up to see a squid boat anchoring up next to us.  He tried jigging some up to get an idea if he was on the right spot, but didn't do weel (while Steve and I are just ripping them up on every drop).  Then he pulled anchor just to move closer to us, like 3 times until he was so close he could have just handed off squid. 

Steve and I both were getting hit, but realized we were swarmed with Bat Rays, so we changed rigs to prevent having to deal with them. 

Another squid boat comes in and literally drops anchor right on us, so we decided to start drifting for halibut, yellows and WSB.

No gamefish, but back at the bats... I think we got 5 or 6....

It felt much better getting some distance between the squid boat since we already had about 200 squid in the tank.

I don't have working navigation lights, so we had to make sure we got back at least by dark.  My flylined squid finally gets hit and the first finfish comes over the rail!

I win!  lol

It was dark by the time we got in the inlet and was worried the lifeguard boat passing us would ticket me, but our spotlight and other lights in the boat probably made him think "Well they're trying".  lol

Well, it was A LOT of squid for the freezer, but probably had $100 worth of fresh bait!  In honor of Mike, we're changing the name of his TNGC to TNBC!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: T.N.B.C (Thursday Night Batray Crew) 8/31
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 11:12:07 AM »
Beautiful evening. Too bad no gamefish showed but got some practice and hella racks of loligos.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 01:12:04 PM »
Fun night. Got real excited when the first rod went off. Every other bite acted the same so knew what it was from the start. Still fun to pull on something.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 06:50:08 PM »
I think I saw that boat yesterday in LJ

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 11:03:20 AM »