Author Topic: First New England fish  (Read 2744 times)

Kam_Walsh98

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
First New England fish
« on: September 01, 2023, 08:54:08 AM »
I guess the part about "last post in awhile" was a lie. I honestly expected to struggle for awhile before connecting with any decent fish here, but my first two days of fishing in Massachusetts were pretty successful. Day 1 I got off the plane at 6am and was too tired to get any work done but the 20oz Dunkies I slammed before getting in the rental car ruled out sleep as an option. Decided to buy a trusty walmart ugly stik and some squid and tried a random spot off the rocks. Started immediately catching scup. Really fun fish; they fight a lot harder than spotties and are incredibly aggravating to hook. I got bites literally every cast for hours and only managed five, but they were all legal size or close to it so maybe it was just the little guys that were cleaning me out. Came back a couple days later with smaller hooks and didn't have an easier time hooking them. Also caught a bunch of black sea bass; all but one were tiny. What a cool looking fish.

I also had some fun catching snapper blues off the rocks. The guy at the tackle shop told me to use a popping cork with a little piece of surgical tube at the end. Felt pretty stupid when I first started fishing it but once I found some schools blowing up on microbait I started catching them. Too small to put much of a bend in the rod but still pretty fun to watch them boil on the trailer behind the popping cork, and I heard that at this size they're much better eating than adult bluefish but I didn't bring any ice or a bucket with me and I still had the rental car. It was also cool to see how aggressively they were feeding on bait; I can only imagine how exciting it is to see adults doing that.

The highlight of the first day (and of the week) was when I tried casting a swimbait in this harbor that I found. I didn't get any bites but there was tons of bait and a striper followed my swimbait to the rocks. I went back in the evening and followed the school of peanut bunker as it moved its way down the rocks with the tide until I hooked into a striper. Soon after, a pack rolled through and started exploding on the bait, sometimes jumping out of the water or pushing it all the way to the shoreline. Caught a few more and missed some other bites. Super exciting to watch packs of four or five fish all hit a bait school at the same time and have them crush swimbaits being burned in along the surface. Pretty crazy that a similar spot in sd would only have tiny spotties, sometimes corvina/short barracuda, and the occasional halibut. I tried again last night and didn't get any but got followed again, so they're still around. Gotta figure out what was different about the first day; right now what stands out to me is that it was slack tide right at sunset and there was a huge rainstorm later that night.

https://ibb.co/album/84ffNp

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: First New England fish
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 11:43:08 AM »
I imagine the crabbin and buggin is realy good there!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 11:53:51 AM »
Don’t take your eyes off those snapper blues. Even ones that size will do a number on your finger if they chomp ya.  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 12:06:39 PM »
Not a bad first few days at all!  Yep, the fishing is great in the warmer months, but as winter closes in, most stuff migrates from their usual haunts.

I used to love scup fishing up there.  Wait until you are surf fishing and see all the peanut bunker beaching themselves rather than being eaten by the chopper blues 1 ' from the surf line.

Great report boss!  That flooded me with some old memories of fishing in New England when I was a kid.

Not bad stripers either!  The springtime will have the big cows running up the rivers to spawn.  Seeing 50# striper up river is always a sight to behold. 

Right on and keep the reports coming!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 12:47:42 PM »
Hot start to a new place! Makes me wanna travel back there with more of a fishing agenda.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 02:55:12 PM »
Fishing wise, it looks like you made a good move   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 06:00:19 PM »
 Great 1st report from the new zip code  8) Looking forward to many more :) :)