Author Topic: My Pets Are Back!!! 8/22  (Read 1386 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
My Pets Are Back!!! 8/22
« on: August 22, 2023, 02:48:13 PM »
Kept telling myself last night to just go on a boat ride inshore. No expectations, just see what's up.

Arrived at the ramp and the harbor water was brown and loaded with trash. Yup, should have expected that.

Super glassy water out the gates. Finally got to see my top end speed with the SS prop on the 6hp, topped around 14.5, pretty solid. I could probably shed a few pounds to help it. Maybe take a few things off the boat too, oof!

Mellow swells quickly turned into a west wind chop probably formed overnight or yesterday. 2-3' at a short period with other mixed swells sprinkled in. Was unpleasant heading to the horseshoe. I was hoping the water would look less like chocolate milk as I headed further off the beach, but 5 miles out it still looked like my breakfast protein shake.

Arrived and checked out a handful of stones. Water temp bottomed out at 61º (yeesh!) and slowly crawled back to 65º. First stone had bass but no biters, the next several had whitefish looking marks. Got light pecks on the swimbait. The short period, early morning heat, gross water, and non-cooperative fish were all making me feel kinda sick, so I started back toward HB harbor. Seemed like I jumped the gun far too early after the storm, especially for the already gross Long Beach area.

Once I got about a half mile away from the harbor, I realized the water was suddenly very clear and the short period swell had vanished. Huh?? So I kept heading south toward the flats. Boat ride north and back was terrible, but the boat ride south very nice! 2' at 15 seconds from the SW, slight cool breeze, some of the clearest water I've seen locally!

Bait popping everywhere as usual, good sign after the storm. Saw a dolphin or two. Pulled up on some stones. My pets are back!!!!

First drop and I was on a mean one! Note beautiful conditions in background. 20' water visibility! Way better than 1'.

Wasn't a hot bite but I scratched out 7 for a couple hours. Much better than heading in early. Rest of 'em were closer to grom size.

Saw a kayak fisherman meander over to me so I met him halfway and we chatted for a bit. He doesn't like the bass and wants to find threshers and other big critters to get a sleigh ride out of. Black seabass are apparently around and he isn't the first to mention it for the area. Good vibes, parted ways. Picked off 1 more, then broke off at the same time as my FF died, so I headed in. Always a bumpy ride heading northward home but worth it for the turn around of the day.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 07:42:32 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: My Pets Are Back!!! 8/22
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 05:52:46 AM »
So, did the FF die because of the battery life you are limited to?

Great read as always Jeremy!  I was out on the 9-mile on Friday and the water was 60 degrees!  I ran up to the 178 and the water was 69.8 and much cleaner.  These cold water pockets are definitely from the upwelling of the storm, but glad you found your "Pets".  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 06:22:27 AM »
 I bet your pets were happy to see you ;D Glad you found them. I'm going to wait till next week or so before I launch again. 2' @ 15 seconds is Lake-Like conditions 8)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 11:34:55 AM »
So, did the FF die because of the battery life you are limited to?

I switched out a 7ah lead acid for a 12ah lifepo4 early this year so no worries there. Actually lasted 3-4 trips since my last charge. Long story short the wall charger needs replacing...

It's been a saga to waterproof the terminal connections and crimp waterproof connectors on the charger as well as the FF cable. It worked for most of this year and I was very happy with how streamlined and simple I made it. Eventually the waterproof connectors' wires look to have corroded from the inside (too high gauge?) so I ordered lower gauge connectors but they just aren't working for the charger to battery, though they do for the battery to FF. I just ordered a charger with alligator clips cuz I got sick of f@cking with it, though that will leave the terminals exposed unless I tape it after each charge.

On the subject of offshore, I'm hearing awesome things. The instagram plane pilot is reporting tremendous volume of bluefin from La Jolla to Santa Rosa Flats, and someone caught a yellowfin from the 267 Monday on a popper in short order. I put together a kite rig so I might test it on Friday in the Cat channel.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 11:39:08 AM by jrodda »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 03:52:24 PM »
Nothing wrong with 14.5 mph Jeremy, looking like you're finally getting it dialed in
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect