Author Topic: It Dead 7/13  (Read 1769 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
It Dead 7/13
« on: July 13, 2023, 04:59:21 PM »
I'd picked up enough little tidbits of information in the past couple weeks that I felt were gonna put me over for my next trip. Tide, time, bait, presentation, place were no longer questions. 0600 launch. 2 frozen mackerel in hand, hoped to catch a couple more fresh ones on the way out. Dropped/trolled the sabiki through puddling baits all the way to the grounds for no fresh mackerel. Well, only takes one, right?

Set up my drift. Put the bait 150' behind the boat. Not two minutes into putting the rod in the holder and the clicker sings. That easy, huh? It played with the bait for a minute then dropped it. One bait destroyed.

Sent out the second bait, already a little uneasy that I might get shredded and put out of business. Not five minutes go by and an even harder run on the clicker. I turned around to look and there's an 8'er thrashing across the surface. Oh boy. Put the reel in gear and the fish is running at me and then away, at me and then away. Then pop. f@ck! Reel up and the hook is gone. Mild abrasion on the 150# leader. I tied the 7/0 circle via SD Jam which had never failed me. Maybe the 150# leader didn't cinch properly? No pig tail though. Couldn't have gotten bit through...

Regardless, SOL in the bait category. Saw a 3'er go airborne. Where the hell am I gonna get bait? I don't have any Magnums on me. Decided to tie a Yozuri High Speed Vibe (small madmacs style lure) and loop around the area. Did that, felt stupid. Go find more bait. Gotta be a mackerel around here somewhere.

Dipped behind the break wall and switched out my chrome sinker on the end of my sabiki for a small Kwikfish. A few minutes in, I get a fresh mac. Phew...high tide is coming fast, no time to waste. Spent another 5 minutes looking to top off with one more mackerel, failed to do so, then bailed back to the T grounds.

Pulled up, set up my drift. Would it be as fast? Nothing after two minutes, nothing after five minutes, nothing after 10...is the frenzy done? Checked my bait, reset. Finishing up a layer of sunscreen and then a confident scream of the clicker, going one direction. Put the reel in gear and I'm on. No thrashing on the surface, but it starts bolting in every direction. Adrenaline is going full bore while Jimmy Buffett is crooning something at 70bpm in my airpod. Slow the breaths, I will not be embarrassed! Start singing along to Lone Palm as the fish makes a run straight at me, then under me, and surfaces off my stern. I get a look and it seems to be the same fish from earlier. Starts dogging me under the boat. I touch the leader a couple times. Braid was touching the tail, not good. Then after a couple tries, I get it settled and leader it up to the boat. Gaff in the mouth. Done!

Then the outboard stalled out. Got it going and it didn't like over 1000rpm, so I kept it cool for a bit, then 4000 worked again. Cut out again. Did this dance all the way to the dock, engine stalling out 10 times. I really, really wanted to just get a pic on land, then take it back out to clean it, then come back, but decided to just head straight in.

Traded a few pics with a guy for a little help with the ropes as he launched his boat.

Nobody was at the ramp but him, but suddenly some speed boats got launched and got some gawkers.

Knew I had to move quick to clean the fish on this warm day. Decided not to break down the boat. Took all my might, but shoved the boat with the shark inside onto the roof of my car. Wrapped it for the ride home.

Got home, pulled the shark off, threw it over my shoulder, walked through the courtyard of my lovely quiet apartment complex, past the manager, up the stairs to my door. No big cutting board at home...

The level to which I destroyed my kitchen today by butchering a shark will remain classified. A TON of meat on that one to collect, and then got work with some bleach and steel wool on everything. Op, I see a little mess on the blinds as I type. Cutting, cleaning, vacuum packing might have all taken almost 3 hours. Which reminds me...the boat is still dirty and on the roof of my car.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Re: It Dead 7/13
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 08:53:01 PM »
Yep, that’ll do.

Congrats Jeremy. It’s about dang time!

Now we need to make the trip to tanner
Keep it tight

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 10:03:36 PM »
Yep, that’ll do.

Congrats Jeremy. It’s about dang time!

Now we need to make the trip to tanner

100 miles? Just a little 10 hour hop skip with my 4 horses, assuming they wanna work that day. Curious about the king skrilla fish out there but not that curious.

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 11:12:01 PM »
Congrats, this one was well overdue. Great feeling to put in a ton of time and effort for a fish and finally get rewarded
Farmer's only

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 04:34:15 AM »
No doubt, you earned this one.  Congrats
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 05:50:22 AM »
Sweet

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 06:13:35 AM »
Great report, I would like to see the look on the Apt. Manager's face as you strolled thru the courtyard sporting a Thresher Shark on your shoulders :o  ;D ;D Congrats, you were due ;)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 08:29:11 AM »
That was a great read Jeremy and I felt like I was right there with you!  At least you got the Mr T before the motor started acting up, so it probably made all that motor dance on the way home not too bad.

Congrats on striking that off your list!  That's a little nuts though cutting it up in the apartment like that though, but you have meat for months!

Bravo boss, I'm super stoked for you!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 10:19:44 PM »
The dinner table pic needs to be on a t-shirt.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2023, 10:58:30 AM »

We need a thread dedicated to Jeremy’s fish cleaning stations pics. Some of them are epic
Keep it tight

Fish Jerk

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023, 01:43:57 PM »
He just might not get his deposit back after his manager saw what he took into his apt.  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 07:00:21 AM »
Honestly, I was thinking the same thing.  LOL

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2023, 07:38:28 AM »
Way to "sack up" and use a manly cleaning method.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2023, 08:20:33 PM »

We need a thread dedicated to Jeremy’s fish cleaning stations pics. Some of them are epic

Didn't actually see the manager, but the window to her apartment and to the office were wide open and facing me. They still haven't brought it up but I kinda hope somebody saw the scene....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 06:09:04 AM »
hahahahahaha