Author Topic: Thresher fishing  (Read 1397 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Thresher fishing
« on: July 10, 2023, 01:03:32 PM »
Went out last Wednesday to see if I could find the threshers. Launched at 4:30pm, Didn’t bring bait, just a sabiki and wasted over an hour and half trying to catch Mack’s… lots of small baits around but no Mack’s until I finally ran over a school around 6pm.

Got a few in the bag, spiked them and sent them out for a drift. Did 3 drifts covering some structure and picked up more Mack’s on the drift. Final drift I decided to go in super shallow and start in 35ft rather than 50ish and drift into the beach. 28ft I get picked up, hook up and classic small thresher fight but after 20 seconds and 2 good runs my 100lb mono top shot broke… clean cut with chafe.. not sure what happened there but it was getting late so I headed in.

Next day Britney and I went out about 4pm with the fresh Mack’s (froze them over night) and went right up on the beach. Did 4 drifts with one knock down but no hookup and was getting frustrated. Drifting into 20ft of water and as I was pulling in the float rod the fly line got picked up. Quick fight and Britney had a 47” FL thresher on her lap!

Had to book it out of the surf zone before we got into breakers, got some pics then headed for the harbor.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 01:05:38 PM by Chris »
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Thresher fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 07:36:29 PM »
Bravo guys!!!  I love that last minute trip trips that produce!  (Actually I miss the hell out of it... I'm getting tired of all this grown up sh!t.  I thought by now it would be getting easier)

Congrats Britney!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 12:11:56 AM »
Bravo guys!!!  I love that last minute trip trips that produce!  (Actually I miss the hell out of it... I'm getting tired of all this grown up sh!t.  I thought by now it would be getting easier)

Congrats Britney!

Sometimes it’s nice to go for something I know and nail it. Still trying to figure out the inshore yellows but it seems like when I want to find a thresher it only takes one or two tries. I also have that shark curse we thought was a blessing not long ago… I’m going to venture up to Jeremy’s grounds soon and give it a go. It’ll make a nice podcast or video log. Even if it takes 3-5 tries. He has better grade fish too
Keep it tight

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 07:24:08 AM »
Wow, that's really cool, Congrats !!

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 10:14:58 AM »
Sweet, Thresher is some good eating!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 04:30:23 PM »

Congrats Britney!

Sometimes it’s nice to go for something I know and nail it. Still trying to figure out the inshore yellows but it seems like when I want to find a thresher it only takes one or two tries. I also have that shark curse we thought was a blessing not long ago… I’m going to venture up to Jeremy’s grounds soon and give it a go. It’ll make a nice podcast or video log. Even if it takes 3-5 tries. He has better grade fish too

I bet you could slam them up here as long as the conditions set up.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 04:43:30 AM »
Very cool indeed, always enjoy your posts
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect