Author Topic: 56 In The Altitude  (Read 2261 times)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
56 In The Altitude
« on: June 26, 2023, 11:41:50 PM »
 We planned our trip to The Sierras and my family wanted to celebrate my Birthday on Father's Day since I wouldn't be here on the 23rd.Apparently my sister thought I was 55 and not 56 (I'll take it)
 ;D

The next day The Twins washed the car and we loaded it up and hit the road 8)

First stop was at the 395 and 15, Pee Break at the Truck Stop ;D

One more stop at the Rest Area below Bishop, still a ways away but can feel it by the scenery 8)

Made it into Bishop and got our hotel room at The Creekside Inn, same as Last year, great place ! Had time to kill before check in so we hit the local Canal behind Vons. Water was stained from all the run off :(

Everyone said the streams in the Mountains were a BUST and unfishable, had to see for ourselves anyways but I figured with all the snow still up there that fishing was going to be tough this year. Oh well, didn't matter to me cause we were all together in a beautiful place, Aaron even met up with us on his way back from Sacramento so it was great to have him along for 1 day :)  We all hung out and then fished a bit and played in the snow too :D

Wanted to check out Lake Sabrina since it was holding fish. The water was very low but full of fish so we hiked around and found a few takers :)

Max caught a few Trout and some sort of Sucker Fish :o

Myles was part Billy Goat and fished the rock pile for a few fighters too :)

I got in on the action and we called it a day, it was getting late and a bit chilly......52 degrees ???

The next day we went to Intake 2, or maybe it was the first day, can't remember, I'm old now ;D The fish wanted to play and I was Ok with it. I guess they stocked it recently so the trout were plenty 8)

Water was abundant and everywhere so we wet a line any place that looked fishy ;D

There are two Tackle Shops in Bishop and we hit them both for Photo-Ops and a few misc. items. Janie loves to shop ;D Vons sells Tackle too ;)

3 days in Bishop, time to head up to Mammoth area and spend a few days at my Buddy's house, it's a beauty with a stream running thru it. He took us sight seeing as well.  8)

Went to lunch in Mammoth Village and spent the day cruising the Lakes, they are just BEAUTIFUL !!! Got a new shirt too :)

A cooler and fishing poles is all you need  ;D

Back to the house to Chill and BBQ 8) He had this bear carved and shipped from Alaska, so the boys and I helped unload and set in a nice spot so you can see it as you drive up the driveway :)

Watched the Sun thru the window Sunday morning and it was time to head home. Had a great visit and we are possibly going back in August ;)

As we drove down the road, I saw Squatch  :o  We waved and made our way back to reality ;D

I always wanted to stop here and check it out, finally did and got a few samples 8)

Last stop before home......Janie loves to shop ......Had a look-see and lunch too. Janie had her eye on the Pontoon Section, she misses her's :-\

Feels good to be home in our own beds, sorry for the long winded post but The Sierras are a special place and I hope you all get the chance to see the magical beauty at least once in your lifetime. Now it's time to get The Cyclops back in action now that Summer decided to show up :)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: 56 In The Altitude
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 03:48:12 AM »
First, Happy Birthday
Second, wish I was 56  :(
Third, that canal passes by Cal Trans.  Used to fish it on my lunch break

Once again, thanks for the memories
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 05:57:05 AM »
Happy Birthday Tim!  I really need to get up to the Sierra's for once.  All the decades here and I never had the pleasure of going up there.  I'll talk to you about the place you stayed.  I think I can talk my wife into that type of mini-vacation!

Thanks for all the visuals in the post!  It takes us for a ride with you!

BTW, that's a pike minnow.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 07:51:50 AM »
Happy Birthday!!! I really love the Sierras.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 06:23:32 PM »
Awesome trip. I’ve been to the western sierras a ton but the eastern side is very alluring, as you’re able to very well portray. Happy Birthday!

Sucker looks to me like a Sacramento Sucker, I caught a handful of them once and they were way better fighting than the trout.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 06:58:57 PM »
Sucker looks to me like a Sacramento Sucker, I caught a handful of them once and they were way better fighting than the trout.
Hmm, I went straight to Pike Minnow, but now looking at that mouth realize I might have mis-ID'd a sucker in Montana that I caught along with a bunch of pike minnows.  I should have noticed the mouth right away, but had fossils on the brain since that was the A+ part of the trip and fishing all those new areas came secondary.  That sounds weird even typing it.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 07:19:13 PM »
Congrats on 56 young man. Not a bad way to celebrate.  8)