Author Topic: Skrilla and the Sea Cucumber (6/17)  (Read 1354 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Skrilla and the Sea Cucumber (6/17)
« on: June 17, 2023, 10:40:37 PM »
Plan was to go out and slay some yellowtail with Len...  It was windy and had some sporty conditions with the short period swell and all.  We immediately came out to life!  Birds diving, dolphin feeding, and I metered 3 nice fish.  We trolled around, cast some irons and tried looking for bait.  We couldn't get anything to go.  Made a bumpy run through LJ and all we saw was cold and dirty water.  We tried multiple areas before actually finding some actual kelp canopy!  We fished the plastic for some calico bass.

It was weird, I brought a bucket of ground sardines to chum the waters, but never got a single mackerel to come into the slick.  It was also going in the opposite direction of the drift and wind so everything was all mixed up.

Since there was so little going on, we were joined by multiple boats and we decided to try plan B.

Here's where the Skrilla meets the Sea Cucumber...  Gnarly thing!

Then came the 3-4 dozen Brownies.  A few flea cod were caught and a single gopher, but otherwise a bunch of smedium sized brownies.  The chum was definitely working because the rockfish were puking up crabs as well as mashed sardine pieces.  lol

Finally, after all morning, I picked up some Skrilla fish!  Len was going home with one whether he liked it or not! 

That was basically it.  We hit about 6 different spots and the Brown's kept coming...  Well, no yellows as we hoped, but it sounds like it was pretty much slow everywhere.  I'm really hoping for some summertime ocean conditions as these short period swell/windy days have just about tired me out.

On the way in, I hit the backside of one of these close waves and SOAKED Len and myself.  It was a huge wave of water and came up quick...  Sorry about that Len, but it was great fishing with you!  Get you passport!!!!  8)

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Skrilla and the Sea Cucumber (6/17)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 09:48:00 AM »
Thanks again for the invite. Even with crap conditions was still able to shatter personable best brown rockfish total count record! Wave serves me right for bringing dirty boots on board. Lesson for all, scrub them clean or Tom will clean them for you.  ;D

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 12:55:18 PM »
Sounds fun.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 03:29:13 PM »
That is a wild amount of browns. Fun session.

Lesson for all, scrub them clean or Tom will clean them for you.  ;D

Duly noted...

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 06:45:31 PM »
That is a wild amount of browns. Fun session.

Lesson for all, scrub them clean or Tom will clean them for you.  ;D

Duly noted...

It’s no joke. Dip your boots at the dock.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 08:52:16 AM »
 As much as I try to keep my boat clean, the floor gets trashed with footprints at the Launch Ramp, always have to bust out the wash down hose at 6am ::)