Author Topic: Flexibility 6/9  (Read 1311 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Flexibility 6/9
« on: June 09, 2023, 05:38:58 PM »
Left the solar thing yesterday. Felt a sense of futility toward the job on Saturday, then had a 3 day vacation with my family in Palm Springs for my dad's birthday. Hoped I could shake the negative feelings and soldier on when I got back from vacation. Came back to the job Thursday and after 20 minutes on the clock, I was like nope! I'm done. Looked at the next day's sea conditions. Looks good! Walked back to my car, sent an immediate resignation email, and turned on the grubhub app for the rest of the day.

Ah, flexibility. No more hoping my one day off has good conditions. Woke up at 0500 no problem, out the harbor 0630. Wanted to check the coastal shelf for signs of tuna or yellows first, then as the slack tide picks up, go try deep dropping for blackgills.

Beautiful conditions to start, but wind picked up to white caps at 0800 as I'm dragging a Yozuri Bonita 15 miles offshore. Saw a couple mola and by the wind sailors, but no bait, birds, or gamefish. Made my way to the rockfish grounds and figured with this unforeseen wind, I should skip the 600'+ and go with 300-400'.

First drop, instant 3lb red. Ooh wee! Next 30 minutes nary a bite. Waited it out, figuring the current would pick up and so would the bite. It did. Started racking up paisans until I had a full limit.

This one came in contact with a lingosaur me thinks. Never felt heavy so might have been from before the hookup.

Left the rockfish grounds, found a big photo friendly mola.

Headed in shallower, kept the double dropper of flukes. FF looked like whitefish were around but got slammed by this double, my first double of bass.

Wind was making the drifts over smaller stones impossible, and my phone was having trouble charging as usual. Down to 7% battery, took my heading for a larger hard bottom area I like and put the phone away. Picked off 3 short turds and a small brown rockfish trolling the swimbait before the combination of my nearly dead phone, ridiculous chop, and slow bite put me on a heading toward the barn.

Limits plus a nice turd.

Craving that beer battered bosco right now.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Flexibility 6/9
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 08:20:48 PM »
A drift sock might be in order for the breezy conditions, I can only imagine how fast the Mosquito gets blown off a spot. Nice haul for the freezer you got there !

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 07:28:28 PM »
A drift sock might be in order for the breezy conditions, I can only imagine how fast the Mosquito gets blown off a spot. Nice haul for the freezer you got there !

I finally used mine on this day, only for a few minutes because I wasn't getting bit, but it didn’t seem to help too much. In that instance the back trolling seemed much more effective.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 08:59:53 PM »

I have one and it helps but in order for it to open you have to be drifting pretty fast and when that happens it only slows you down for a good slow troll or thresher drift speed no really rock fishing speed.
A parachute might be better. I’ve thought about it but they’re expensive
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 06:52:11 AM »
Came back to the job Thursday and after 20 minutes on the clock, I was like nope! I'm done.

That's kind of how I feel right now in my current situation.  lol.  The only time I ever quit on the spot like that was back in college, I took a job as a Kirby Vacuum salesman.  I only lasted 4 days.  LOL

Also, I have a drift sock, but unless I'm planning on really long drifts, never use it.  It's a lot of work to deal with.

Nice assortment of groceries and I like how you make plans.  I kind of do the same thing.  lol  (Really nice RED!)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 11:19:37 AM »
It was the first time I ever quit on the spot, at least mid shift, but I also thought based on my performance over the last couple weeks that I would be getting laid off as soon as the next day. So I figured why show up the next day at the office to get sent home immediately, and not be able to fish, when I could save the suspense and also fish that day?? Had long term reasoning of course too but that fun momentary reasoning softened the blow of another sudden life change.