Author Topic: Tuesday Night Soup Fest 6/6/23  (Read 2971 times)

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Tuesday Night Soup Fest 6/6/23
« on: June 07, 2023, 06:25:23 PM »
Gonna try to keep this short and to the point. I'm Running on literal fumes right now.

Met up with Greg, lil before 6, at the scene of the slayage from Sunday. Beach was absolutely littered with kelp and every type of seagrass I've ever seen 🙃 for as far as the eye could see north and south.. welp we're here and we know they're around. Not gonna be a cake walk like Sunday lol

He catches a perch pretty quick in-between clumps of salad. I keep getting my crabs smashed but no takers. He catches another mid size perch and we're stoked to have a few fresh baits and one frozen whole perch from Sunday. As I'm reeling in to go grab a piece of Greg's perch I hook one of my own and it's a solid 3 baiter. We get em in the cooler and start deciding w ho is going to get
What piece , he goes head I take a body chunk and we get baits sent out.

Baits in, it's 645ish magic hour is approaching, weeds are pretty much only inside the skinny and shore pound. Seems promising. I look and my lines slack on the beach. It's only been in the water for maybe 2-3mins tops. Reel in expecting weeds to be the culprit but turns out my baits completely smashed/shredded and Uber fresh perch doesn't just fall off a hook and shred itself😵‍💫

Send another bait out and maybe 25mins later, Greg's on! Well that's a good sign lol he put the wood to her and battled her through the waves pretty quick so we thought Leo for sure, until she went on another screamer back to the outside break. They went back and forth for a bit, and drew some onlookers, who were only expecting a fire sunset and instead got treated to a soup fight 🤪

Healthy Mama

https://i.imgur.com/rum5Um0.jpeg

Spectator shot

https://i.imgur.com/mfaSBeU.jpeg

I checked my bait, he Rebaited, sent em again.
Greg grabs his perch rod and fishes for bait for a few mins. As he's soaking crabs I look over and my rods loaded up and doin the grinner shake, run to it and it goes slack, reel for my life to catch up but it dropped the perch chunk, recast and see that Greg's hooked up on the perch rod with something that's not a perch . It managed to get kelp all over itself and in the skinny all I saw was silver and kelp so I figured it was a smallish bean but turned out to be a healthy YFC! We chunked her up and Greg sent the head out.
It's been about 30mins since we sent baits out, it's dark now and we're just waiting for the bite to really turn up.

I switched out the perch for a chunk of YFC, Greg recasts and as I'm watching him walk back to his rod holder I see my rod double over and the and  herky jerky shark shake. I grab it and it's instant slack 😭 I reel and there's no weight at all. Bit off/ rolled through the 80lb mono shock leader.

I only have like 8ft of Mono left, so now I get to tie an FG knot on the beach 🙃

Get it tied and go to recast, I look over and Greg's hooked up. Set my rod down and go help him get her landed. Yep another Soup. She was fired up and put up a great fight.

Solid Tope

https://i.imgur.com/ij851rX.jpeg

He's stoked! I'm losing my mind going 0/3 and breaking off the last one with ever feeling the line go tight.

But I send a chunk of perch out anyway and fire up an offering to the shark gods.

We both know it's about to go off and are keeping a close watch on our rods. Well the offering did the trick, as we're shooting the sh!t about all the fish over the last 2 seshs my rod goes full bendo. Get to it and it's still going, set and I'm OOOONNN! Suddenly those lost opportunities don't sting nearly as bad 😅 she goes airborne a few times in the ambient light from the over cast and full moon glow. Get her into the skinny after a solid battle and as I see the dorsal fin swimming towards Greg I can see she's a good one. Greg tails her and I'm redeemed 🙌🏽

https://i.imgur.com/FElrAz6.jpeg

Well we knew it was gonna be a good night and 3 soups is great by anybody's standards. But we weren't going anywhere til the grunion showed up.

Sure enough as I'm getting my rod back in to the holder after I sent another chunk of perch out, Greg's bit AGAIN ! I'd say I can't believe it but it was becoming the norm at this point. After 3 soups we didn't expect anything else lol and sure as sh!t that's what he pulled in through the breakers. Another solid healthy female soup.

https://i.imgur.com/XyAKwPh.jpeg

We got her sent back and he recasts as I check my bait and resend it. It's like almost 11pm now tides peaked grunion are running and we're in tope heaven.

I'm next up with a screamer bite that I lay into and it's ON! I'm in the zone fighting this fish and just in awe of how much action there's been , get her into the skinny and she's wrapped up in the mono so Greg's got a lil easier task landing a lassoed shark 😅

This might be the picture I want at my funeral

https://i.imgur.com/JeYxLgl.jpeg

Of course we're not going to leave when they're there's this many fish in the area. We say we're gonna try to leave by 1230 to avoid getting a parking ticket and Greg's got work at 8am lol luckily I'm off Wednesdays, but we didn't get another bite til just b4 midnight. I was up again blistering 1st run, yep that's her bro, she gave it all she had but I slid her up with the shore break and we got her tailed in the middle of the grunion doing their thing 🤪

My 3rd soup of the sesh, 6th total for the night, 9th we've seen this week🫠

https://i.imgur.com/Y4QezEv.jpeg

Fished another hour for another short bite each. Get to the trucks and Greg lost his keys on the sand. Look for em for 30mins, no luck, drive Greg home to mission valley, to get his spare, it's 230am now, drive him back to the beach and get home lil b4 4 after I stopped for gas 💀😴💩 welp I failed to keep it short LMAO

Rastafargone B)<==*~~

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday Night Soup Fest 6/6/23
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:17:05 PM »
Another great night, except for the lost keys. Congrats on all the shark success lately 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 03:26:31 AM »
I'm speechless brother, I want to be like you when grow up   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 07:15:13 AM »
Holy smokes Josh!  That is one hell of an evening! 

Hmmm.....  I'm starting to think I need to dust off the shark gear again.  ;D

Bravo sir!  I'll wait until this weekend to finish up the shark list in case you crush it again!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 02:50:41 PM »
This post is so awesome, I'm going to do something I never do...............REPLY TWICE

Josh, totally in awe and super stoked for you
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 08:01:28 PM »
This post is so awesome, I'm going to do something I never do...............REPLY TWICE

Josh, totally in awe and super stoked for you

You're too kind boss, I appreciate it!

Thanks guys, I got family in town this weekend, and a concert at the Rady Shell on embarcadero Sat evening 🤦🏽 I'll definitely be out again in a few weeks when the grunion run again, and probably next week just to see if they're still hanging around.. someone in the parking lot Tuesday told Greg their buddy caught a sevengill at the soup spot last week, haven't seen one of those in 4yrs 🙃

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 11:07:18 AM »
That's sick, these last grunion run tides were also some of the fastest paced casted bait fishing I've experienced

I grab it and it's instant slack 😭 I reel and there's no weight at all. Bit off/ rolled through the 80lb mono shock leader.

I fish 150lb-200lb shock/rub leader for this reason. I've even had 150lb get rolled through by a soupfin
Farmer's only

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 05:40:35 PM »
Really nice looking fish, great portrait shots with 'em!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 07:38:07 AM »
On the website cover.  I'm still waiting for the new website to be done and not even sure I'm happy with it, but in the meantime enjoy the front page of the current website!

https://www.prehistoricsoul.com/

You can't catch them from your computer chair.