Author Topic: 4/21 Unexpected Buzzer Beater  (Read 2425 times)

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
4/21 Unexpected Buzzer Beater
« on: May 27, 2023, 11:17:59 PM »
This one is interesting

Went down to an SD county beach with a friend to fish surfcasted baits on another grunion run. We got to the beach fairly early so we took some time to hang out and make rigs while people cleared out. Took a look at the water and it was very brown which I didn't like but surf was small and there was no grass or current. The surfers cleared out by sundown and we started fishing.

First couple hours were uneventful, and the grunion hadn't shown up yet so my buddy decides to walk up the beach to see if he can find any. He comes back telling me the beach is full of them just north of us so we decided to move.

We continued to not get bit even fishing where the bait is. Tide was starting to go out and we were losing hope so we decided to fish one last bait and pack up by 12:30.

We talked for a while without even paying any attention to our rods anymore when around 12:25 I get a blistering run on a bullet tuna head. Set hook on it and it feels like a hard fighting soupfin. Makes a good first run and is walking me up and down a bit. But after a few minutes the fish just would not give up and we were questioning whether or not this was a soupfin.

Close to 10 minutes in we realized this is no soupfin. This fish is hauling me up the beach and I'm struggling to get this thing turned. The first 20 or so minutes was almost a stalemate with me following it just trying to stay as straight as I could.

After the 20 minute mark I was finally able to gain more and more line on it. Prior to this any line I'd gain was lost instantly. Slowly but surely I inched this fish in until we finally saw it jumping just past the surf.

Once I got it close enough I just used the waves until my friend could get his hands on it and landed the fish, a tax man just over 7ft. Worked as quick as we could to get it unhooked and released but it was wrapped up pretty good from jumping a lot. My friend did get some good pictures of the process thankfully. Got it released and walked 3/4 of a mile back to where we first hooked it and packed up.

Been over a month and I still can't believe I managed to land that fish, or even hook one on a casted bait since it hardly happens anymore. 60lb mainline, 1.5ft of cable and 150lb mono rub leader somehow held up for over 40 minutes of long runs and jumping, and the mono was in it's mouth when we landed it. I don't see this happening again so I'm glad I didn't farm what's probably my only shot at that fish on casted for who knows how long.

I don't know if a tax man counts for the list since they aren't soups or sevens but this one was surfcasted so if it counts,

4/21/23, White shark, 84+ inches approx, Female, Bullet Tuna, 2-3ft surf, 58 Degree Water, Outgoing Tide, Waxing Crescent, SD
Farmer's only

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: 4/21 Unexpected Buzzer Beater
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 06:10:33 AM »
Here you go Joey, great write up

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 06:37:32 AM »
 Wow, very cool ! Makes you think twice about going for a swim. Tom will be impressed for sure, nice catch 8) 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 02:22:17 PM »
Great write up Joey!  Damn! Well done!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2023, 03:43:14 PM »
That's awesome!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)