Author Topic: The Curmudgeon Power Swap  (Read 1330 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
The Curmudgeon Power Swap
« on: May 14, 2023, 03:49:30 PM »
Not motor but the batteries.  I've had to keep the motor running because just the juice of the sonar after 10 minutes was making it hard to start the motor.  Also noticed quite the power draw when recharging the batteries after each trip so I know it's time to upgrade.

Usually, I just buy batteries at Walmart and swap them out every 4 years, but there are a lot of new options as of late. Guys at DCB Battery in El Cajon answered every question I had and thankfully, because I probably saved $600 for not swapping out to some other types of batteries..

What a pain in the ass swapping out 56# batteries through a tiny hole in the most uncomfortable positions. Then, I had to make sure every wire went where they supposed to.  I thankfully got a quick lesson on making two 12v into a 24v for my trolling motor.

My knees, shoulders, biceps, back, and legs all hurt after this one!

Mission accomplished, but the motor wouldn't start, so back in to look for the missing wire!

Found it and the motor popped right on!

Now to test it out at some point to make sure everything is working properly.  At least my meter is saying everything is getting the power it supposed to have, so that's a start.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: The Curmudgeon Power Swap
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 07:21:42 AM »
u r a super genius!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 07:55:16 AM »
u r a <insert> super genius!!!

The only thing you were missing was "Gr8" and you could have been a super genius too!  ;D

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 08:03:12 AM »
 Now I know what I have to look forward too :o My boat has 3 for the trolling motor (36v) and 2 for the boat itself, just looking at the nest of wiring makes me cringe because of the tight space. Lithium batteries are lighter but they like to burn or catch fire and they don't give them away these days either. Good job on the swap, now you can spy on the fish longer ;D

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 11:21:08 AM »
Woof! I know the contortions for that job. That will be a nice upgrade though.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 06:29:03 AM »
Still weird.  I must have a huge power drain when all my equipment is on since I still have the low voltage when trying to start it after it's turned off for a very short time.  This shouldn't be happening.